Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guy, I’m somewhat new here I had in the past a 98 XJ and I was on other jeep forums years ago.
I’m back in the game with a 2010 XK Limited 5.7 MDS VVT with 65000 miles that I just got two days ago. I have a lot to learn about this jeep, but it looks like I got a really clean XK, the Carfax shows that the two owners before me took the jeep to a jeep dealership every 4 to 6 months for service, and the last time it was sold before me, it was sold as a used certified pre-owned Jeep.
So far it looks like everything is just working grate, the only thing it needs are tires soon.
No check engine light or anything like that.

So my questions for now are

Should I still take it to a jeep dealership just for a complete checkup just to be on the safe side, I know to be careful with dealerships and anything they say, but still just to see what they have to say about the jeep.

About tires, I don’t want to get anything bigger, maybe one size bigger, something that will be good for everyday and some back roads gravel and sand and winter snow.
I’m thinking about 255/65R18 or 255/70R18, my jeep is all stock now and I don’t think ill be getting a lift on it anytime soon, the jeep is NOT sagging in the front or rear what size will be good with no rubbing, especially in the front.

And what about a cold air intake like K&N for the HMEI, I had it on my XJ and it was grate, what you have to say about it for the XK

When it comes to oil what you HEMI guys use and what oil filter, and do you go with an oversize one,
(I did that on my XJ)

About additives, I’m a big fan of Seafoam and Lucas products, on my XJ I have used them with no problems, LUCAS PURE SYNTHETIC OIL STABILIZER (Dose it affect them MDS?)
And LUCAS FUEL TREATMENT, any one uses them on the HEMI?

Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am just getting to know my XK myself, so I cannot comment on many of your questions, however, from the sound of your front end not sagging you may already have some sort of lift kit on your truck. You should post some pics!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your XK purchase

I've owned a 2006 Limited HEMI for a few years now and I made the cold air intake. I did notice some mpg improvement, but the big difference was the awesome growl coming from the engine bay when under full acceleration.
I don't have hard data on how an oil additive would affect the MDS, but to be on the safe side, I would only put good quality 5W-20 oil in there. I do use the Lucas gas additive and have not had any fuel pump, lines or injector issues at all.
Check out the Easter Egg sticky and congrats on your XK purchase. These are wonderful vehicles and it's a big bummer to me that Jeep kicked them to the curb so quickly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like you got lucky and found a good one! As far as the cold air intake goes, I was planning on the same for mine. I found a thread posted by another member about a "home made" cold air intake. I can't post links yet because I am new here as well but search "$20 intake resonator delete" in the search bar and it'll pop up.

·
Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
Hello guys, I’m somewhat new here I had in the past a 98 XJ and I was on other jeep forums years ago.
I’m back in the game with a 2010 XK Limited 5.7 MDS VVT with 65000 miles that I just got two days ago. I have a lot to learn about this jeep, but it looks like I got a really clean XK, the Carfax shows that the two owners before me took the jeep to a jeep dealership every 4 to 6 months for service, and the last time it was sold before me, it was sold as a used certified pre-owned Jeep.
So far it looks like everything is just working grate, the only thing it needs are tires soon.

Should I still take it to a jeep dealership just for a complete checkup just to be on the safe side, I know to be careful with dealerships and anything they say, but still just to see what they have to say about the jeep.

About tires, I don’t want to get anything bigger, maybe one size bigger, something that will be good for everyday and some back roads gravel and sand and winter snow.
I’m thinking about 255/65R18 or 255/70R18, my jeep is all stock now and I don’t think ill be getting a lift on it anytime soon, the jeep is NOT sagging in the front or rear what size will be good with no rubbing, especially in the front.

And what about a cold air intake like K&N for the HMEI, I had it on my XJ and it was grate, what you have to say about it for the XK

When it comes to oil what you HEMI guys use and what oil filter, and do you go with an oversize one,
(I did that on my XJ)

About additives, I’m a big fan of Seafoam and Lucas products, on my XJ I have used them with no problems, LUCAS PURE SYNTHETIC OIL STABILIZER (Dose it affect them MDS?)

Thanks.
@arielxkjeep;

Please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here including how to make sure that all of your factory recalls & campaigns are done - which would be the first thing I would do if I were you;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Post some pics of your Commander when you can.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do more upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Thanks and welcome aboard

·
Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
thanks for the info BigBlue,

Can anyone give me their opinion on tires and cold air intake?
I would say go with K&N for the cold air intake since you have a Hemi.

As for tires - are you getting a lift? Or keeping it at stock ride height? Are you planning on buying different rims?

Looking at your original post you said something about 18 inch tires?

I don't think you'll fit 18 inch tires on the stock rims - the stock tires & rims are only 17 inches.

·
Registered
480 Posts
With the Hemi, the best CAI you can get in the Volant CAI. They make it for the SRT Hemis, but it fits on 5.7s as well and it's been proven by many on the dyno to get the best performance.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

I don't think you'll fit 18 inch tires on the stock rims - the stock tires & rims are only 17 inches.
The commander comes with a factory 18" option. Maybe they have those?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

I would say go with K&N for the cold air intake since you have a Hemi.

As for tires - are you getting a lift? Or keeping it at stock ride height? Are you planning on buying different rims?

about a lift, I'm not getting one any time soon but I really need new tires I have 18 inch rims for sure, but I will like to get tires with some more meat on them, I want something bigger with no rubbing, or some, but really little.
It will have to come down to
255/65R18 or 255/70R18
it's just that it looks like more options are available with the 70

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should I just get 17inch rims from a wrangler with 255/70 on them, or the inch difference of the rim, will not make a difference of the fit. Craigslist has some nice ones with new tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
Should I just get 17inch rims from a wrangler with 255/70 on them, or the inch difference of the rim, will not make a difference of the fit. Craigslist has some nice ones with new tires.
luckyse7ens said:
From what I understand, the wrangler rims won't clear the calipers unless you use 1 1/2 inch wheel spacers.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that lucky.....thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
luckyse7ens said:
From what I understand, the wrangler rims won't clear the calipers unless you use 1 1/2 inch wheel spacers.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that lucky.....thanks for the info.
Iirc its the rubicon or moab 17" rims that need a bit more clearance on 07+ xks and wks. You can get enough clearance with a grinder if you dont like spacers. Otherwise something as small as a half inch spacer should be plenty. 1.5" spacers are just more common.

The 18" sahara rims clear fine.

Yw. I did a lot of research when i was looking for wheels and tires second hand for this rig....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guy, I’m somewhat new here I had in the past a 98 XJ and I was on other jeep forums years ago.

(I did that on my XJ)

Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. I love my 2006 Jeep Commander 3.7L that I bought last July in very good condition. I highly recommend that any transmission work be done by a Jeep dealer. The transmissions these days are more complicated and electronic (and hydraulic) so my Jeep dealer was able to quickly fix my PRNDL transmission gear last fall. The symptom was the Jeep would occasionally delay upshifting on acceleration on the thruway. I didn't want to take any chances so I had it checked out after a couple of weeks. Dealer installed a new part in the transmission and now its been running fine for the past 5 months. ( the part wasn't cheap, though, over $1,700 in parts and labor) but worth the piece of mind having it fixed right the first time. Jeep has 170,000 miles on it. Previous 2 owners used it for commuting on Interstates in New Jersey. I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee for 8 years. Immediate upgrade is to buy a new K & N cylindrical cone air filter and attach it directly onto the throttle body right under the hood next to the firewall, after removing the plastic plenum air box (intake manifold), plastic air intake hoses , and the top lid of the air filter box. Attach a small k&N micro air filter to the outlet oil bypass hose to filter the oil fumes and prevent Check Engine from lighting up. This gives a lot more power due to a lot more air intake at minimal cost. No need to buy those fancy air intake chargers, costing hundreds of dollars, the objective is to get the air as quickly and as close to the throttle body.
Don't worry about claims of inhaling warm engine air vs. cold outside more dense air. The proof is in the acceleration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey bud,
So I bought 245/75/17 off a rubicon and I had no issue with clearance on original stock suspension. I’ve since lifted the jeep, but like I said it turned lock to lock with those on it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey bud,
So I bought 245/75/17 off a rubicon and I had no issue with clearance on original stock suspension. I’ve since lifted the jeep, but like I said it turned lock to lock with those on it
The thing is that I have 18inch rims, I like them so I don't want to change, and decant tire thread size is hard to find.
do you think 255/70R18 will fit, or 255/65R18 I don't really want to get spacers.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts

(I did that on my XJ)

Thanks.
I use dino oil and change it every 3,000 miles. I use a NAPA Gold 1085 (made by WIX) standard size . Your HEMI might use a different one than the 06 I have.
No additives - waste of money for the most part.
On the MDS - make sure to use ONLY 5W20 or whatever your owners manual states (also on oil fill cap)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts