Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I had to go to downtown Indianapolis today for a college graduation. We pulled into the parking garage, found us a parking spot, parked, got our stuff gathered, got out of the car, shut the doors and as we're walking away, I hit my "lock" on the keychain and make sure that the lights flash to indicate that the doors have locked. No problem so far.

About 5 seconds later as we're walking away, I hear a vehicle ignition fire and start up from the general vicinity of where I had parked. I stop, turn around, see that my taillights are on, and I don't see *anyone* near the Commander.

It had *started* itself. Baffled, I look at my wife quizzically, and say "I think the Commander just started itself. Sure enough, I go back and that damn thing is just sitting there idling in park, headlights on and everything.

I do *not* have a remote car starter, that I am aware of. I have what I believe to be the original keys, and all it has is the "lock/unlock", "panic", and "open rear window" buttons.

So wtf happened here? Is this some weird quirk? Or do I have a remote starter on there that I wasn't aware of and maybe someone else had hit their key chain and started my car from some other area of the parking garage?

The ONLY thing I can point to here is that I was parked at a peculiar angle, as it is a ramped parking garage. Maybe it was just an odd enough angle that something dangled and connected and fired the ignition? I rarely park in parking garages, and I've *never* had this happen before.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
If YOU had the only key - ie there wasn't a spare in the vehicle - I can't imagine how it would start on its own without the chip nearby. Faulty/unknown remote starter could be a possibility, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG...

I'm SUCH a freaking IDIOT!

I got to thinking after I posted this, and I went and grabbed my keychain and spotted this 4th button that I've ALWAYS thought just opened up my back window. I hit it, and my f'n truck started up.

I'VE HAD A REMOTE STARTER FOR A YEAR NOW AND HAD NO FREAKIN CLUE, ROFL.

I'm a freaking idiot. Please disregard this post, except to make fun of me, which is entirely deserved. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
You're an idiot.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's funny, is that I've actually complained in the past year when the weather was bad that it would be handy to have a remote starter, rofl...

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
What's funny, is that I've actually complained in the past year when the weather was bad that it would be handy to have a remote starter, rofl...
You're an idiot.

·
Registered
521 Posts
That my friend, is awesome. :laugh:

I installed remote starts for about 5 years and have some funny stories about customers, but while reading your post I couldn't have asked for a better ending!

None the less, always nice to find something you didn't know you had! Can't razz you too hard either since you are from Indiana (unless you went to IU, then it explains everything :IThankYou:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey, I've never had a reason to open my "back window" remotely, lol...
I once drove a Company owned Crown Vic for almost 2 years before I noticed an overdrive button on the end of the shifter..
I use the back window remote all the time and the remote starter. This is my first vehicle with a remote. Kinda cool. Of course I'm easily entertained..haha
HT

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I look stupid, but that's alright. It's all good if people get a chuckle out of it, I know I did. And btw, yes, I'm a Purdue graduate, I'll let you put 2 + 2 together. ;) This is not one of my finer moments, lol...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great story CommanderFan, that was awesome. We have all had those moments in one form or another.

Hey, does anyone know if all Commanders have remote start or only the Limiteds?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great story CommanderFan, that was awesome. We have all had those moments in one form or another.

Hey, does anyone know if all Commanders have remote start or only the Limiteds?
Well, I *thought* I had a Sport package, but obviously, I don't know what I'm talking about anymore, lol. This one (evidently) has a remote starter. ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts