Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are electric/battery impact wrenches worth buying? Looking for those who have tried them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use them at work constantly. I know they cost a little more, but I now use strictly Milwaukee products. I have two 18v impacts that I use regularly (I work in utility lines/substation construction) as well as other battery tools and although the Dewalt stuff is good, IMHO the Milwaukee is better.

take your pick ... http://www.milwaukeetool.com/search-results?FullTextKeywords=impact wrenches&result+type=power+tools&product+types=impacts+and+fastening

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a corded 1/2 inch Dewalt impact that I've used for years and recently bought a package of Ryobi power tools at Home Depot. I was amazed when I used the Ryobi 1/2 Impact wrench of the first time as it was much better at removing tight bolts than the corded Dewalt. I could not believe how much better it worked being it was so much lighter.

Most people don't know but many brands of the power tools come out of the same factory. Recently I had a business associate of mine tell me he toured a power tool manufacturer in Mexico and China where he saw Ryobi, Bosch, Dewalt and Rigid tools being assembled in the same plants.

Dan

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Never tried an electric impact wrench, I've been told they work fine.

Keep in mind, a cheap impact wrench is hardly worth it, I bought one, and every time it fails to loosen a bolt, I regret NOT spending another $50 to get a much higher quality one.

Keep in mind, an air compressor has all sort of uses, you really never regret getting one.
So, although a decent air compressor and impact wrench would cost more than a decent electric impact wrench. In the long run you've got a lot more, as you can add more tools that are cheaper than the electric version and compressed air as well.

An air chisel and die grinder do come in handy, as well as filling tires and blow gun. I've even done some "small" sand blasting and painting with my air compressor. (Keep in mind, sand blasting requires an entire booth setup and a very high capacity air compressor. I needed to blast a few small pieces, used a $10 ebay gun and let the sand fly in the back yard, not bad for one small project, that would never have been possible without a decent air compressor (and it a decent is too small for sand blasting, but for my small project I blasted for 30 sec, let the compressor run, for another 30 sec of blasting.)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 1/2" Dewalt corded. It has never failed
in the past 10 plus years. I've used it to crush
pinion sleeves with the 12awg extension cord.

I have the DW-292

Also becareful of cheap impact sockets. I bought
a set from Harbor freight, and split 3 out of the set.

Hell my regular Stanley sockets have even held up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts