Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm mostly a lurker here on the board but has anyone here ever importated a vehicle from The EU such as the UK or Germany into the states. I currently own a 2006 Commander 4x2 and I've been really interested in the CRD engines, and of course, they've not offered the CRD Commanders in the states... Any input? I'd really like to get my hands on a diesel Commander... I'm not keep on the Jeep Liberty.

(I did have the pleasure of seeing a CRD Patriot rolling around Auburn Hills near Chrysler HQ the other day with a manufacturers tag)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Not sure you would ever get it to pass emissions and then you would have spent a lot of money for nothing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unless you know someone who can get you space in a connex, you're probably going to pay just about the value of the vehicle itself to have it shipped here.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Theres lots of car importers/exporters here in the UK. Drop one a mail, see what they have to say.

I think emissions are stricter here in the UK and the CRD engine is that of a Mercedes ML280....do you have them over there?

PS We drive on the correct side of the road over here, so your passenger will have to do the driving if you import a right-hooker!!!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I have some experience shipping cars to the Netherlands. You want to ship it the other way. I think the process is not that different.
There are different rules on emissions and a lot of other issues between Europe and the US. Besides the fact of possible emissions issues i'm curious if you want to spent the money for it. In the Netherlands an new CRD costs about 82,000 Euro (107,000 USD). Since you are exporting you probably can get a lot of taxes back on that. The net price would be somewhere about 40,000 Euro (53,000 USD). Maybe in Germany you can get a XK cheaper.
Then you're paying about 1,500 USD for shipping followed by US import tax on the amount above. I think you're ending up at least paying twice the amount of a new Limited XK here in the US....... ofcourse if you are able to import it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Have you checked to see if they offer the XH to any country connected to our continent?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to sell CJD group vehicles in NC.. did for a few years. At the largest CJD dealership in the carolinas.. Diesel Commanders don't exist stateside...For whatever reason.. The same engine, the CRD system from what's the Liberty here (Jeep Cherokee in the UK)... to my knowledge is what went into it... We have the grand cherokee diesels here but I like my commander :)

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You could probably get an engine new or used and have it installed for the cost of importing the whole vehicle. Then you would know the motor is approved for use in the states.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Theres lots of car importers/exporters here in the UK. Drop one a mail, see what they have to say.

I think emissions are stricter here in the UK and the CRD engine is that of a Mercedes ML280....do you have them over there?

PS We drive on the correct side of the road over here, so your passenger will have to do the driving if you import a right-hooker!!!
I think it is illegal to import hookers--right or left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts