Jeep Commander Forum banner

Impressive Build Quality

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Get Lost 4X4 
#1 ·
Has anybody looked underneath their Commander? I was changing the oil the other day and was looking at the swaybars and the underpinnings. This thing is built as stout as my 2007 F150. I couldn't believe the thickness of the crossmembers, swaybars, axles, and everything else. No wonder this SUV wieghs as much as it does. I have looked under the H3, RAV 4, and the Chevy Tahoe and their is no comparison. If you want to see somthing that is not that heavy duty look underneath the H3. The Commander has them all beat.:D

#2 ·
The Commander is definitely built strong.

I would like to see them go even further with the XK/WK replacement... chromoly axle shafts and drive shaft, heavier duty skid plates, better radiator protection, polyurethane bushings (if they can somehow keep the NVR levels down to that is found with rubber bushings), etc.

#3 ·
I really dont know much about whats underneath, but it looks sturdy to me!

#4 ·
I was impressed too after looking at it this morning. Unfortunately, I will say the bolts for the plastic front skid that comes stock are a little subpar. I found the reason why our plastic skid has been hanging since the last offroad outing. The bolt was sheared off from where it mounted to the frame. The rest of the bolt is still attached to the skid.

#6 ·
I ripped that air dam off one of the first times I was offroading. That piece is worthless anyways. Other than that the build quality is very good.

#9 ·
I see > thanks !

#11 ·
UberCommander said:
I believe he is talking about the plastic guard that is under the engine.
That's the one, and the bolt that sheered is the one in the upper right corner of this picture. Besides that, the build quality is great, however, I would prefer real bumpers which I hope will be on the way soon.

#13 ·
UberCommander said:
you can replace that with steel skid.
Exactly, hopefully Thursday I'll get to install the skid that's sitting in the garage waiting for it. First, some issues to work out with the dealer, and I think I'm going to have to do a little bolt tapping.

#16 ·
#17 ·
lonestar said:
That's the one, and the bolt that sheered is the one in the upper right corner of this picture. Besides that, the build quality is great, however, I would prefer real bumpers which I hope will be on the way soon.
That same bold broke on mine and I have to figure out how to get it out as well. I cannot install my steel cover until the bolt comes out.

The head broke off the bolt so there is nothing exposed to grab on to!

#18 ·
I had no intention of stealing this thread, which seems to be what I have done. The build quality of the Commander is great except for that one bolt. When I put the skids on, I'll take pictures of getting the bolt out too. SDBaja, I don't think those will work for this application since the bolt is literally sheared in two at the frame. I'm going to resort to drilling and tapping it out.

#19 ·
The bolts for the real skid plate appear to be stronger, so yea for better build quality with real skid plates. I ended up buying the screw outs, but they didn't really help me. I could not get the drill side of them to drill into the bolt. However, I did find that I could push an edge of the screw and unscrew it without drilling. Hip hip hooray. I have pictures here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.