Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Works for golfballs right?

Was in Jamaica for the week and landed at the DFW airport this morning. Got to the parkinglot to discover all of teh cars there (that were still left from Tuesday) were really messed up, Jeep included. At least the upright windows saved all the glass, unlike most of the sedans in the lot with more horizontal front/rear windows.

This is the car parked next to mine.. (How most looked, many covered in tarps to be nice..)

I tried to snap a few pics at home.. hard to get dents to show up in photos with a cellphone.

Hood took the most damage, with some huge dents that cracked the paint in a few spots. right side littered with smaller dents... Looks like the roof rack actually saved most of the roof (3 sunroof's included) but there are some decent dents up there also.. Right tailight smashed as well...

Anyone know anything about hail repair?

Yay!:(

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
We use to do a lot of hail repair the old fashioned way, with body filler. Then it became cheaper for the insurance companies to at least replace the panels that were easy to replace. Then for a time they would just total the vehicles cause that was cheaper. Now, they prefer to use paintless dent repair on as much as possible. I have seen some amazing results with paintless dent repair, some stuff I just knew was impossible to repair.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
This is one of the few times I'm happy to say yours is bigger than mine.......the dents that is.
I had a similar experience last spring....in my driveway.
Sounded like the house was caving in....I lept out of bed and watched my poor Commander get the Hell beat out of it.

Morning inspection revealed a wheeled golf ball.
Not quite as deep as your damage....hood (aluminum) of course, roof, upper pillars.
I was fortunate, I guess.....no broken paint and my dentbuster guy got em all on the first go around.
$4300.00 later, good as new........and my first ever insurance claim in my entire life (I'm 60)
Also took out my 08 Malibu.....similar $$ and......the roof of my home and all the siding.....Once the ink was dry, about a $22000.00 claim
So, this one fell under the 'Go big or go home' catagory from my point of view.
My agent said worry not, you've had your cars with us since 1965, your home since 1973 You likely paid well over that to us just in premiums.

So, regarding your question, it is a comprehensive type claim.....call your agent and let him guide you through he maze.....I am assuming you have a mainstream insurance carrier and not one of these mojo outfits that advertise after midnight.

Did you get hail damage at your home? Ask your neighbors if there was hail.....if cars in the neighborhood are damaged there will be home roofing damage as well......look at the roof vent caps....hail will dent them something fierce.

Good news for you, no broken glass.

Best of luck,
Rob

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is one of the few times I'm happy to say yours is bigger than mine.......the dents that is.
I had a similar experience last spring....in my driveway.
Sounded like the house was caving in....I lept out of bed and watched my poor Commander get the Hell beat out of it.

Morning inspection revealed a wheeled golf ball.
Not quite as deep as your damage....hood (aluminum) of course, roof, upper pillars.
I was fortunate, I guess.....no broken paint and my dentbuster guy got em all on the first go around.
$4300.00 later, good as new........and my first ever insurance claim in my entire life (I'm 60)
Also took out my 08 Malibu.....similar $$ and......the roof of my home and all the siding.....Once the ink was dry, about a $22000.00 claim
So, this one fell under the 'Go big or go home' catagory from my point of view.
My agent said worry not, you've had your cars with us since 1965, your home since 1973 You likely paid well over that to us just in premiums.

So, regarding your question, it is a comprehensive type claim.....call your agent and let him guide you through he maze.....I am assuming you have a mainstream insurance carrier and not one of these mojo outfits that advertise after midnight.

Did you get hail damage at your home? Ask your neighbors if there was hail.....if cars in the neighborhood are damaged there will be home roofing damage as well......look at the roof vent caps....hail will dent them something fierce.

Good news for you, no broken glass.

Best of luck,
Rob
$4300? Yikes!

I already filed a claim (Progressive) and we'll see where they go from here.

I have dealt with a roof hail repair here in dallas two years ago (rental house, didn't live there at the time) but suppose I should check on the roof of our current house. It was supposed to be much less hail here than where I was parked! Wife's new Mazda6 was parked on the driveway here with no damage (and she's very glad we didn't take her car for the trip, a last minute decision based on dropping the dogs at the kennel on the way)

I do think the roof rack more than paid for itself in damage avoidance in this case!!

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
That's some big hail! Ours are usually pea sized and melt as soon as they hit the ground. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the insurance inspector is here at my office now... Any bets on the damage estimate he comes up with after the inspection?

·
Registered
284 Posts
$4500-$5000

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Progressive is an excellent company when it comes to claims service.
I am sure there are people that are not happy with them. From an
agents point of view, they provide excellent service and no one has
ever complained to me about thier service. Not everyone will come to
you these days.

How do you get hail damage on the rear deck? it is a vertical surface.
Not questioning you, just amazed that can happen.

My bid is $2300 (my guess)

revised guess - total.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Progressive is an excellent company when it comes to claims service.
I am sure there are people that are not happy with them. From an
agents point of view, they provide excellent service and no one has
ever complained to me about thier service. Not everyone will come to
you these days.

How do you get hail damage on the rear deck? it is a vertical surface.
Not questioning you, just amazed that can happen.

My bid is $2300 (my guess)

revised guess - total.
Hail on a vertical surface = sidways hail... Look at teh entire passenger side!

Summary = $4500
New hood (with emblem!) new taillight, paint and about 75hrs of labor refinishing the rest of the panels.

Apparently a 'traditional' hail repair involved removing paint and filling in all the dimples with bondo, then repainting. Not real keen on that.

Progressive guy came out to my office and inspected the car. Only weird part was he just dropped the paperwork with the front office staff and left, so I didn't get a chance to ask him anything after he looked it over.

Shops around here are swamped with hail repairs.. Closest app't I could get with my usual body shop isn't until July 27th!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I actually just went through Progressive on a claim for a collision. A month into owning my new Commander, a POS ran a red light and drilled my passenger door. I turned and avoided most of the force but ended up with over $5k in damage. My experience with Progressive has been mixed. The claims adjuster was great, very friendly, responsive and on top of things. The repair shop... not so much. I went through progressives care center here in Florida. It took two different attempts to get the body and doors right, they never reattached the front bumper / fascia (and argued with me about whether it should even be attached!) and also about whether a rim was actually damaged in the collision. Ridiculous.

All in all, they had the Jeep for more than a month and I still have a vibration at 70 mph. The pinstripping wasn't even close on the first try. Now it looks great but there's a shake and a possible third trip back to the shop. Sooo, long story short, I hope your service/repair center is better than the one down here. It's good you are going to an independant as I think the Mom and Pops generally care about the work a little more versus a company with a huge contract doing volume work for a carrier.

Progressive is a good company but it all rides on the shop doing the work I guess. That's a serious bit of work to be done on that bad boy! Sorry about the luck! I certainly agree with you about adding bondo. Lord knows the XK's are heavy enough already.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually just went through Progressive on a claim for a collision. A month into owning my new Commander, a POS ran a red light and drilled my passenger door. I turned and avoided most of the force but ended up with over $5k in damage. My experience with Progressive has been mixed. The claims adjuster was great, very friendly, responsive and on top of things. The repair shop... not so much. I went through progressives care center here in Florida. It took two different attempts to get the body and doors right, they never reattached the front bumper / fascia (and argued with me about whether it should even be attached!) and also about whether a rim was actually damaged in the collision. Ridiculous.

All in all, they had the Jeep for more than a month and I still have a vibration at 70 mph. The pinstripping wasn't even close on the first try. Now it looks great but there's a shake and a possible third trip back to the shop. Sooo, long story short, I hope your service/repair center is better than the one down here. It's good you are going to an independant as I think the Mom and Pops generally care about the work a little more versus a company with a huge contract doing volume work for a carrier.

Progressive is a good company but it all rides on the shop doing the work I guess. That's a serious bit of work to be done on that bad boy! Sorry about the luck! I certainly agree with you about adding bondo. Lord knows the XK's are heavy enough already.
Good input...

Progressive is actually letting me pick whatever shop I want, so I'm using a shop by my office that repaired my old Protege5 (twice:eyemouth:) and did a great job... they're just really busy!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
It is too bad about the body shop that couldn't do the job right. Any profession, you work hard to do your job right and only hope the guy
You pass it onto can carry it through.

Sideways hail damage amazes me....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is too bad about the body shop that couldn't do the job right. Any profession, you work hard to do your job right and only hope the guy

I don't think it's that they can't.. it's that the insurance companies (not any specific ones, just in general) have decided that method is 'good enough'

I don't think the labor included paying someone to do al lteh metalwork to fix each and every dent...

·
Registered
263 Posts

Sideways hail is usually a sign of some very high wind, typical in Texas storms.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to close this out... Just got back from picking the Jeep up at the body shop. They did a fantastic job (Fender Mender in Keller, TX - highly reccomended!) for a grand total of....

$6,462.69.

1300 parts
700 paint
4k + Labor.

The hood was the single most expensive line item at close to $800, with the biggest chunk of labor going to repairing the roof with all the sunroofs. So yeah! have my Jeep back again..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Do you still have the old hood?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nope - let the body shop handle all that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts