Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to do what I can to improve my gas milage on this car. Researching cold air intake systems (an opinions on best one?) and maybe replacing spark plugs. Just bought the car with 98K miles on it. 3.7L V6 2007 Commander. Any ideas to improve it's performance under the hood?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't plan on recouping the cost of a CAI in gas savings because it just won't happen. I have the K&N 63 CAI and it provides a slight gain in HP and torque. I don't regret my purchase, but it was one for fun, not for gas savings (because I don't think it's really saved any gas).

Worn plugs will definitely drop power and MPG though. Wish I knew if mine were in need of a change or not. Hopefully one of these days I'll get around to lifting up the hood to check it out.

BTW, I also have a 3.7.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don't plan on recouping the cost of a CAI in gas savings because it just won't happen. I have the K&N 63 CAI and it provides a slight gain in HP and torque. I don't regret my purchase, but it was one for fun, not for gas savings (because I don't think it's really saved any gas).

Worn plugs will definitely drop power and MPG though. Wish I knew if mine were in need of a change or not. Hopefully one of these days I'll get around to lifting up the hood to check it out.

BTW, I also have a 3.7.
I agree. Also don't bother spending any money to improve mileage, it won't happen. Great mileage isn't what you'd get, but it does other things quite well!

·
Registered
3 Posts
How bad of mileage are you getting? Thats really the key to how much you can improve it easily.

The commander I drive came with my girl, lets call them a package deal. She never maintained the poor thing. It was getting an average MPG of.....10! Mostly city.

I changed all fluids, air filter, plugs, PCV, seafoamed it and a couple other little things and we are up to 13.6mpg, still mostly city. Its also more responsive than ever. It had 113,000 miles when I did all that.

Not going to bother doing any intake/exhaust mods with fuel consumption in mind, it would take years to make the purchase pay for itself. And thats assuming you can keep your foot off the floor even with all the cool, new sounds its making....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@JPHedberg all sound like great ideas. My car has 99K miles on it and so far im averaging about 12.1 MPG. It's my first car so I'm also learning a lot about the truck itself, but thanks for all the feedback, it's much appreciated. @NiteMare3219 I might just have to go with the same intake :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just bought a K&N from autoanything.com it's the no 77. Should be here anyday.
I've been getting 12.8 to 13 in my city, with a lot of traffic signals.

The cost was $286. There was 15 percent off for 1st time buyes, and then free shipping. It cost me $243. The 3.7 does the job, but sometimes it needs more air!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Im not noticing any difference in GPM, but the accelleration picked up a bit. If it didn't look so cool under the hood I would probably put the original CAI system back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts