Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for better gas mileage out of my JC. I have the 3.7 V6. Are there any suggestions on where I would start to try and achieve this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Absolutely.

My wife's commander sits in the garage and is rarely used.

On the other hand, my commander is a daily driver.

I cant's seem to put my finger on it but for some reason I am filling my tank up more often. Maybe it is just the bigger V8 on mine.

I have also found that restricting use to downhill only ande in neutral can do wonders for MPG>

Seriously, I heard the K and N cold air intake will get you about 1.5 MPG more for $26o on ebay. Can anyone verify?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hisandhercommanders said:
Absolutely.

My wife's commander sits in the garage and is rarely used.

On the other hand, my commander is a daily driver.

I cant's seem to put my finger on it but for some reason I am filling my tank up more often. Maybe it is just the bigger V8 on mine.

I have also found that restricting use to downhill only ande in neutral can do wonders for MPG>

Seriously, I heard the K and N cold air intake will get you about 1.5 MPG more for $26o on ebay. Can anyone verify?
Now the K&N on ebay for $26 is just the filter, right? That's not the actual cold air intake. There is an air intake available for the 4.7 V8 for around the $300-$400 range, just not for the V6 as of yet. Let me know if I'm wrong on this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I called K&N and they said they do not have one out for the V6. They did not know when one would be available. If anyone knows of one please let us know I would like to get it when it comes available.

·
Registered
77 Posts
First off, remove the restrictor plate at the front of your stick intake. You'll need to remove the grill to achieve this. After that, throw in a K&N stock replacement filter, and you'll see some nice increases. Also, make sure you're tires are inflated to the recomended PSI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No suggestions here, but I just filled my tank for the first time and got 11.3 miles per gallon. I was a little suprised it was so bad, but hope that it will improve with more miles. I have the 4.7 L and it was mixed driving, mainly city though. I am very careful with the foot too.

Oh well. I love the rig and get many lookers.

ORrealtor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
INTREPER said:
First off, remove the restrictor plate at the front of your stick intake. You'll need to remove the grill to achieve this. After that, throw in a K&N stock replacement filter, and you'll see some nice increases. Also, make sure you're tires are inflated to the recomended PSI.
Can you help me out with the restrictor plate? What exactly am I looking for. Will this void my warranty? I've already bought the K&N filter. I'm just waiting for it in the mail. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
lucasmugrad said:
Can you help me out with the restrictor plate? What exactly am I looking for. Will this void my warranty? I've already bought the K&N filter. I'm just waiting for it in the mail. Thanks.
From the airbox, follow the ducting that leads to behind the grill. You'll need to pop off the litter cover that gives you access to the headlight assembly. At the end of the intake, where it meets the grill, there's a flap that covers the majority of the intake opening. It's in place by two rivets. I broke mine off, but if youd like, you can drill them out, etc.

Doing this will not void your warranty as it is such a small modification that will more than likely go unseen by any dealership.
I'll post some pics up later.

·
Registered
131 Posts
ive got a 26u commander with the v6 and i get 11.8 mpg. I drive all city but i should be gettin about 14 or 15. i have about 1400 miles on it but WTF is wrong with the MPG

·
Registered
45 Posts
INTREPER said:
From the airbox, follow the ducting that leads to behind the grill. You'll need to pop off the litter cover that gives you access to the headlight assembly. At the end of the intake, where it meets the grill, there's a flap that covers the majority of the intake opening. It's in place by two rivets. I broke mine off, but if youd like, you can drill them out, etc.

Doing this will not void your warranty as it is such a small modification that will more than likely go unseen by any dealership.
I'll post some pics up later.
I took the "snorkel" from the air box completely off of mine. Would it be better to put the snorkel back on and remove the restrictor or just leave it off all together. I get about 18 - 19 hwy and 16 - 17 city.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would removing the whole snorkel cause any problems? And how do you go about doing that? I'm not very mechanically savy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
lucasmugrad said:
Would removing the whole snorkel cause any problems? And how do you go about doing that? I'm not very mechanically savy.
I haven't had any problems from removing mine. I've driven the Jeep through some heavy rain too. No water found in the airbox any of the time. Only thing I am noticing is that there is more dust and dirt at the bottom of the airbox anytime I check it.

The removal is very simple.
There are 6 plastic rivets at the top of the grill. Pry those upward with a flat head screw driver. Once those have been removed, pull the grill straight up.
You'll see the snorkle. That should pull straight forward from the airbox. YOu might need to squeeze the end that goes into the airbox to release it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a v6 that when purchased said 15.8 mpg average. I noticed the transmission shifted really late aswell. Your jeep sets shift points according to your driving style for first hundred miles or so. I pulled the positive cable off battery for 1/2 hour then reset clock. Radio remebered presets. cool. The big thing was the mpg went to 19/22 and the shifting was much sooner and smoother after 50 mi. Remeber you aren't the first one to drive your commander. hence test drive petal mashing. poor gas mileage. Some car companies wont even let you test drive until vehicle is financed and delivered just for this reason.(try and test drive a cobra Not happening) you need to reset your computer to zero.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Haags said:
Does anyone know anything about the Grille-Tech "Velocity Tuner"? It claims gains up to 16% HP and 31% MPG. Is this for real? Selling on eBay for $16.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAVE-GAS-16-HP-Jeep-Commander-31-MPG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42604QQihZ019QQitemZ8074688049QQrdZ1
Hmmm, let's see... available on ebay, outrageous claims of increased HP, even more outrageous claims of increased MPG.... all this for only $16??
The reason scammers keep the prices low on these kinds of gimmicks is because they know most people will feel it's not worth pursuing when they realize they have been taken.

They have a 99.5% positive feedback (for combined product transaction) but with 49 ratings mutually withdrawn... why such high ratings, both good and withdrawn? Apparently they earn their ratings with strongarm tactics. Their policy, as indicated in their ebay ad:
- Positive Feedback will be left to your account only after Positive Feedback has been left to ours
- If Negative Feedback is left for us after all parameters of this auction are met, Negative Feedback will be left to your eBay account, eBay will be notified and legal action could result

Draw your own conclusions... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Missed that part. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Haags said:
Missed that part. Thanks.
Sure, gotta watch out for each other... I can't stand snake oil salespeople, that's sure what it looks like to me :mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
kicker308 said:
I have a v6 that when purchased said 15.8 mpg average. I noticed the transmission shifted really late aswell. Your jeep sets shift points according to your driving style for first hundred miles or so. I pulled the positive cable off battery for 1/2 hour then reset clock. Radio remebered presets. cool. The big thing was the mpg went to 19/22 and the shifting was much sooner and smoother after 50 mi. Remeber you aren't the first one to drive your commander. hence test drive petal mashing. poor gas mileage. Some car companies wont even let you test drive until vehicle is financed and delivered just for this reason.(try and test drive a cobra Not happening) you need to reset your computer to zero.

I did this last night. This morning my JC was already shifting better than ever. I will report on the MPG later when I get some more data. Before figures were 15.3 MPG on average with 4.7V8 and 50/50 city/highway driving.

-Mark-
:cool:

1 - 20 of 162 Posts