Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done any mods to inc. their horsepower. ie: new exhuast system, air intake. I was told by getting after market equip. you can get better gas mileage and more horsepower. does anyone know anything about this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Well , I'm sure if you get abetter breathing system youre gonna see gains. Less restrictions, more ability to respond better. In a while when they come out I will prob. get a nice Borla exhaust for my jc, maybe a nice intake. little subtle things for now:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Hey guys, new to the site, with some suggestions.

Remove the snorkel going to the air box. It's very restricted. Then replace your stock air filter with a K&N filter.

I also installed a Magnaflow cat back system. Should be in production soon.

The hemis are very restricted both in and out. So once you un-cork them a little bit, they run great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Jangy, I am wondering, if an air filter change would even have the slightest positive impact on the mpg used, would DC not do this from the start? After all, they spend much money to squeeze out the most performance with the mighest possible mpg ... if a reasonable cheap solution (changes to a filter and exhaust) would do this, why would they not do that? Most of these "solutions" seem to be gimmicks. To tune for more power with a worse mpg result, that I can understand but to have it both ways, I doubt it. Hence I understand Intreper's suggestions as they underline what I had posted as a link earlier about the Hemi engines in general.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
INTREPER said:
Hey guys, new to the site, with some suggestions.

Remove the snorkel going to the air box. It's very restricted. Then replace your stock air filter with a K&N filter.

I also installed a Magnaflow cat back system. Should be in production soon.

The hemis are very restricted both in and out. So once you un-cork them a little bit, they run great.
what is the magnaflow cat back system? where do you get it, our reserch it? thanks for the info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
pwloomi said:
Cold, forced air usually makes more power than the hot air drawing off of the engine like you will when you remove the snorkel, so would it be a good thing to remove?
It's a good thing to remove because its very restrictive. Before removing mine I ran a thermometer inside the box, with before, and after the removel readings. They were identicle. The only time you're going to suck in warmer air is when sitting at idle. Same effect will happen with any cold air intake. You want the colder air possible at acceleration and wide open throttle (WOT). YOu get the most benifit of it at those times.

With the snorkel removed, I gained 2.2 average miles according to the evic during 25 highway mile trips to work.
The butt dyno likes the removal of the snorkel a lot! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
JoeTampa said:
For that matter, where do you get a K&N filter??
Go to ebay motors and run a search for "jeep commander air filter". You will then see a few vendors that offer the K&N filter. Its the same size filter element available for the Hemi Ram. I paid like $45 for mine if I remember right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
donutz said:
what is the magnaflow cat back system? where do you get it, our reserch it? thanks for the info
A Magnaflow catback system is an exhaust system that replaces the factory exhaust set up from the cat converter to the back of the jeep. The factory set up is very restrictive, hence why the Jeep is so quiet.

I'm not sure if the kit is in production yet, but my truck was used for their product development. You can try calling them and seeing when the bolt up kit will be available. It makes driving this truck that much more fun :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
INTREPER said:
It's a good thing to remove because its very restrictive. Before removing mine I ran a thermometer inside the box, with before, and after the removel readings. They were identicle. The only time you're going to suck in warmer air is when sitting at idle. Same effect will happen with any cold air intake. You want the colder air possible at acceleration and wide open throttle (WOT). YOu get the most benifit of it at those times.

With the snorkel removed, I gained 2.2 average miles according to the evic during 25 highway mile trips to work.
The butt dyno likes the removal of the snorkel a lot! :D
I may have to give it a shot. The comment that I made can be blamed on not knowing any better. Looks like you did your homework. Did you just disconnect it and put something (larger diameter) to replace it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
INTREPER said:
A Magnaflow catback system is an exhaust system that replaces the factory exhaust set up from the cat converter to the back of the jeep. The factory set up is very restrictive, hence why the Jeep is so quiet.

I'm not sure if the kit is in production yet, but my truck was used for their product development. You can try calling them and seeing when the bolt up kit will be available. It makes driving this truck that much more fun :D
did the JC get much louder with the new kit? and what does it look like do you have any pics of the exhaust you can show us?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
pwloomi said:
I may have to give it a shot. The comment that I made can be blamed on not knowing any better. Looks like you did your homework. Did you just disconnect it and put something (larger diameter) to replace it?
I just removed the snorkel. The snorkel has a lot of shard bends and doesn't allow air to flow easily. I just left the hole as is on the front of the stock air box.
And no sweat on your comment buddy. I didn't take any offense to it. We're all here to learn about these awesome Jeeps ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
donutz said:
did the JC get much louder with the new kit? and what does it look like do you have any pics of the exhaust you can show us?
It got 25% louder I would estimate. Obviously, the harder you slam on the gas, the more noise you're going to make. But it's not obnoxious in my opinion. Also, at cruizing speeds, you can't even tell you have an exhaust. Specially with the windows rolled up.

I'll try and get some pics of the exhaust this week for ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Here are some pics to give you an idea of how restrictive the snorkel is.

This shows the end that faces the grill. Notice the part that looks like it's broken? There's a cover that cuts 80% of that opening I broke off. This alone got me 1 mpg increase according to the EVIC.


This is the end that connects into air box


The intake tube from the air box to the throttle body is also a little restrictive. Notice all the little chambers that connect to the main intake tube flow? Those are put there to make the flow of air quieter. They also rob HP due to them causing turbulance in the air flow.



Hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Here's what my intake looks like now temporarily until K&N releases their kit.

The white plastic tube enters all the way into the air box, by-passing the accordion tube. I used the accordian tube as a means to connect the pipe and the box.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
on the magnaflow website it said they are making an exhaust for the hemi. Will they be making one for the V6 and the V8 (4.7L) as well or will it work on all of them?
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top