Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have talked about this before, But the tapping / Exhaust leak sound from my 5.7 is driving me NUTZ!!! I think it was decited that it was an injector.

Has anyone had this fixed, or am I being too pickey and I should live with it?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
CT OVERLAND said:
I know we have talked about this before, But the tapping / Exhaust leak sound from my 5.7 is driving me NUTZ!!! I think it was decited that it was an injector.

Has anyone had this fixed, or am I being too pickey and I should live with it?
You can hear it from inside? My XK diesels a bit when I first start it but after about a minute -- when the idle settles -- it smooths out. It is not noticable at all from within the cabin (even with the air down and the stereo off).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rubicontrail.net said:
You can hear it from inside? My XK diesels a bit when I first start it but after about a minute -- when the idle settles -- it smooths out. It is not noticable at all from within the cabin (even with the air down and the stereo off).
Then I may have a leak. I hear it all the time when I'm in the gas.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The clicking you hear is most likely the old school push-rods that we have in our high tech Hemi's. The cam is not like most modern engines with a SOHC or DOHC that directly links with the valves but rather goes back to the older (more noisy) push rods and rockers (Because of the MDS features, it is required). The unfortunate side effect of this is clickty clacks from those 16 valves and push-rods a rockin'. Mine clicks on a regular basis (more noticeable when you first start but you can always hear it if you listen. If yours seems louder than you think it should be, then by all means I would take it to the dealer. It could be a bent rod, etc.

As far as the exhaust leak, is it a hissing sound you are hearing or is it excessive engine noise? Have you looked at exhaust underneath and checked for any black carbon build up at any of the seams? You could also look for water leaking from any of the exhaust seams when you first start it up. You won't be able to really see the manifold portion but you can certainly check from the catalytic converter back. The noise could also be the sound of the engine roaring back up through the intake manifold. This will happen when you get the RPM's approaching 3000 or higher. If your using the stock intake it has sound baffles to dampen the noise but if you are using an after-market CAI, there is no "muffler" in the intake tubing so you really can hear the engine "WOOT". If you have the stock manifold, there maybe something wrong with it.

It sounds like you really should get it into your dealer if you have this much concern...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looking at another thread that show the pics of your setup, it looks like you have the same intake that I have (Airaid). I can tell you from my experience that that thing will really make some noise when you get on it! I would bet that the exhaust leak you refer to is just the engine noise leaking back up through the intake. I actually enjoy that sound, but the first time I heard it, it startled me because I wasn't used to it... But it is quite normal. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
olllllllo said:
The clicking you hear is most likely the old school push-rods that we have in our high tech Hemi's. The cam is not like most modern engines with a SOHC or DOHC that directly links with the valves but rather goes back to the older (more noisy) push rods and rockers (Because of the MDS features, it is required). The unfortunate side effect of this is clickty clacks from those 16 valves and push-rods a rockin'. Mine clicks on a regular basis (more noticeable when you first start but you can always hear it if you listen. If yours seems louder than you think it should be, then by all means I would take it to the dealer. It could be a bent rod, etc.

As far as the exhaust leak, is it a hissing sound you are hearing or is it excessive engine noise? Have you looked at exhaust underneath and checked for any black carbon build up at any of the seams? You could also look for water leaking from any of the exhaust seams when you first start it up. You won't be able to really see the manifold portion but you can certainly check from the catalytic converter back. The noise could also be the sound of the engine roaring back up through the intake manifold. This will happen when you get the RPM's approaching 3000 or higher. If your using the stock intake it has sound baffles to dampen the noise but if you are using an after-market CAI, there is no "muffler" in the intake tubing so you really can hear the engine "WOOT". If you have the stock manifold, there maybe something wrong with it.

It sounds like you really should get it into your dealer if you have this much concern...

I appreciate your reply, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the intake and I hear it at all tempatures, and speeds. I've heard this noise from day 1. It's bad, I can only tell you that it sounds like the hedder is leaking at one of the cylinders. The dealer says "They all sound that way". This being my 4th Hemi, I know that they dont "all sound that way". I'm going to bring it to another dealer, and get a second oppinion.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I agree with you, CT
The noise really sucks and it is not related at all to the intake and exhaust mods. I notice mine under light to mid throttle, mostly coming from the driver side - sounds like a leaky exhaust manifold. sounds like crap.

I really don't hear it at all when the windows are up.

Under upper mid to full throttle, I don't hear it because the "WOOT" (nod to olllllllo) takes over. then the Hemi sounds like it should.

I wish there was a fix, but my "one-star" dealer says there is nothing wrong. Keep us posted if you find a fix.

-Hemi

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a 2007 Overland with of course the Hemi Engine. I dont hear anything, windows up or down so they dont all sound like that. john

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HEMI said:
I agree with you, CT
The noise really sucks and it is not related at all to the intake and exhaust mods. I notice mine under light to mid throttle, mostly coming from the driver side - sounds like a leaky exhaust manifold. sounds like crap.

I really don't hear it at all when the windows are up.

Under upper mid to full throttle, I don't hear it because the "WOOT" (nod to olllllllo) takes over. then the Hemi sounds like it should.

I wish there was a fix, but my "one-star" dealer says there is nothing wrong. Keep us posted if you find a fix.

-Hemi
You got it!!! Thats the noise!! I'm fortunate that I have 4 or 5 dealers to choose from close to me. I'm also lucky that the dealer that I bought the car from, and the only one I have brought the car too is the furthest away.

I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!!! and keep you guy posted as well. I'm trying to get the truck in this week.

·
Registered
577 Posts
CT,
Have your other three Hemis had the MDS? I am wondering if some component of that could be the source?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HEMI said:
CT,
Have your other three Hemis had the MDS? I am wondering if some component of that could be the source?

Only 1 / 06' Grand Cherokee limited. Purrs like a kitten..........

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hmmmmm... I have spent some time lying under the XK while it is idling, poking my hand around all accessable areas of the manifold down to the cats, trying to feel for the telltale"puff" that would indicated a leak in the system. I also took an inspection mirror and poked around as much as I could to try to find a discoloration that would indicate an exhaust leak. I have not been able to find anything yet, but I am very sure that I was more thorough than the dealer would be.
next step is to use a wood stick as a "hearing aid" on the motor to see if I can pinpoint any source of mechanical noise.
By the way, I notice that the noise is there, too when idling, just a bit more faint - but noticeable from outside the Jeep.
I hope we can figure out what it is, because my Jeep sounds sooooo nice with the intake and Magnaflow. It really craps up the whole package to have that noise. sounds like an old beater.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HEMI said:
Hmmmmm... I have spent some time lying under the XK while it is idling, poking my hand around all accessable areas of the manifold down to the cats, trying to feel for the telltale"puff" that would indicated a leak in the system. I also took an inspection mirror and poked around as much as I could to try to find a discoloration that would indicate an exhaust leak. I have not been able to find anything yet, but I am very sure that I was more thorough than the dealer would be.
next step is to use a wood stick as a "hearing aid" on the motor to see if I can pinpoint any source of mechanical noise.
By the way, I notice that the noise is there, too when idling, just a bit more faint - but noticeable from outside the Jeep.
I hope we can figure out what it is, because my Jeep sounds sooooo nice with the intake and Magnaflow. It really craps up the whole package to have that noise. sounds like an old beater.
I took the car into the dealer yeaterday for 3 things. 1. Schedule 1st oil change.

2. Sun roof cable replacement, (make sure they order the parts before the car gets in)

3. The "Noise"!

I met with a tech who before hearing the car, says "I've seen this before". (A glimmer of hope!!) He listened to the car, agreed that it sounded wrong, and that mostly the 4.7L's and some of the Hemi's have been breaking the last hedder bolt on the driver side out of the factory. He has not replaced one on a Commander before, but has had replaced a hand full on "Ram's", and Grand Cherokees.

The car goes in on Thursday AM for the above issues. He also mentioned that becouse the car only has 3000 on it, the bolt (if thats the problum) would be easy to get out becouse the hedder has not rounded, or rubbed the bolt flat against the head.

CT

I hope this helps and I have my fingers crossed!!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Is there a way to check a "header bolt" without going in?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 5.7L started making a similar noise when I took some train tracks too fast...i guess thats what i get for driving when I'm half asleep and hung over. My girlfriend says it sounds the same as it always did, but maybe I'm just paranoid. That "noise" could be from the out dated rods that was mentioned earlier, but I'm not sure. I am definately going to have the guys look at it when i get the oil changed at the end of the month.

·
Registered
577 Posts
CT OVERLAND said:
I hope this helps and I have my fingers crossed!!
Let us know what you find! Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have and 06 4.7 and "the noise". Well I did alot of research on the 4.7 and found something on a dodge forum talking about it. More than a few people said they found it was a broken header bolt or two, always on the rear driver side of the motor. As soon as I saw that I inspected mine and sure enough I found the leak I cound smell it and feel it when I put my hand down there. When the motor is cold you can REALLY hear it! But after it warms up it sort of goes away. I have 55,000 miles on my rig now, but have heard this noise for quite some time. it just has been getting real bad.

·
2,248 Posts
Just a word of caution. Motorhomes, especially with the 460 gas engine are notorious for breaking header/manifold bolts due to heating and cooling. If you do not fix them you will eventually have a bigger problem. The hot gases can actually melt away part of the head over time. I had to replace two heads a few years ago due to this problem. This is not the kind of problem that you want to sit on and hope it gets better, it won't. Sorry for the doom and gloom post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts