Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have installed 2-12" Kenwood DVC's and amp in my '08 commander sport using the stock HU. Everything seems to be ok as far as getting audio through the speaks the way I have it wired now, but something doesn't seem right. It seems very under powered (quieter) than it should be, or than it was in my pervious cars. The only difference between this setup and the past setups would be that this is the first time I am using the factory HU to power my audio needs. To get audio to my rca's on the amp I am implimenting an adjustable 2-CHANNEL CAR STEREO LINE OUTPUT CONVERTER 2-50 WATT made by Install Edge (part # IECAULOC) spliced into wire leads off of the factory amp located in the rear-drivers panel.
Is this causing my performance problems?????
Are there any special line output converters such as the PAC C2A-CHY3 CHRYSLER CAN BUS ADD AN AMPLIFIER : #11823 from http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=11823 that may needed instead of the universal line output converter?????
Any advice on installing the rca's would be great!

·
Registered
224 Posts
It short, it probably is the problem. If you had them running on an aftermarket HU before you were probably running output voltages of 2 - 4 volts. With the line converter your probably only getting around half a volt. The purchase of a line driver or a crossover with built in line drivers will solve the problem.

I would sugest replacing your Install Edge (part # IECAULOC) with a navone Ne-7v from here.
http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7

I would think that would solve your issue. Can't guarentee it, would be my guesse though.

Unless youve used this setup before, and its just this car that has the low volume issue. Then it may be a completly different problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The NE-7V line output converter seems very similar to what I already have. Could there be an issue of where I am connecting the input leads to the factory wiring? As I stated earlier I have the +/- input leads of my install edge line converter spliced into wires in the drivers-rear panel where the factory boston acoustics amp is located. Or any good suggestions as to somewhere else to run my input leads to would be appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The +/- polarity could affect it. But chances are it is just the fact that you are using high level inputs. The signal isn't as good as low level RCA's, its just something you have to live with.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your correct that was the wrong product. My bad!

Boosting the rca signal is what you are looking at doing, we do it in competition vehicles all the time. A line driver is used to boost a low level RCAs signal. Most high end aftermarket crossovers and processors have them built in.

I will see what I can find in an affordable line driver and post back (most stand-alone line drivers are ~$100 or more)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok thanks for the help!

In the meantime does anyone have advice or wiring diagrams for an '08 Commander Sport w/ the factory boston acoustic amp setup so that I can confirm that the leads on my output converter are wired as they are supposed to be. When I originally installed the hardware I was kind of guessing where to tap the converter leads into the factory system from other posts and research I have completed. Also for reference I have the basic 6-disc HU w/ sirius radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks skinny, but the link you sent me is for a 2007 Commander sport without the boston acoustic setup and mine is a 2008 Commander sport with the boston acoustic setup so the wiring may be different.

·
Registered
224 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts