Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I have installed new shocks and decided to throw on a 2.5 inch spaacers I bought like 4 years ago. I clearly didnt research properly at the time, to find out that it would lift the jeep much more than that. Plus Im sure the quick struts with new springs likely lifted the jeep up some. (Had stock springs @ 200k miles...) I am able to get the alignment pretty close to Green on Camber, and dead on for Toe. But I cant help but laugh my ass off at how rediculous it looks and how reckless I have been just installing these spacers without doing all research.

This jeep is in the garage, I wont be driving it much, just on local roads... Have another car for daily commute

Laugh at me first, I deserve it. But then where do I go from here?

I have 2 inch rear spacers coming in the mail. I am considering JBA upper control arms, but at 500 bucks and considering my Camber is still green (caster is def not because of the lack of rear lift) can I get away with the stock ones? Angle doesnt seem terrible (ive seen worse in my shop that deals with lifted Tundras)

Is there no way around it? 2.5 inches is just too much up front? Should I downgrade to 1.5"? which, correct me if Im wrong, actually lifts the jeep 3 inches?

(I lost both fender flares/wheel wells hitting a deep puddle on the highway during a tropical storm 馃槄 its hard to find new ones where I live)
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

Automotive tire Tread Hood Motor vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Administrator
Hello all, I have installed new shocks and decided to throw on a 2.5 inch spaacers I bought like 4 years ago. I clearly didnt research properly at the time, to find out that it would lift the jeep much more than that. Plus Im sure the quick struts with new springs likely lifted the jeep up some. (Had stock springs @ 200k miles...) I am able to get the alignment pretty close to Green on Camber, and dead on for Toe. But I cant help but laugh my ass off at how rediculous it looks and how reckless I have been just installing these spacers without doing all research.

This jeep is in the garage, I wont be driving it much, just on local roads... Have another car for daily commute

Laugh at me first, I deserve it. But then where do I go from here?

I have 2 inch rear spacers coming in the mail. I am considering JBA upper control arms, but at 500 bucks and considering my Camber is still green (caster is def not because of the lack of rear lift) can I get away with the stock ones? Angle doesnt seem terrible (ive seen worse in my shop that deals with lifted Tundras)

Is there no way around it? 2.5 inches is just too much up front? Should I downgrade to 1.5"? which, correct me if Im wrong, actually lifts the jeep 3 inches?

(I lost both fender flares/wheel wells hitting a deep puddle on the highway during a tropical storm 馃槄 its hard to find new ones where I live)
View attachment 44583 View attachment 44586
View attachment 44584
View attachment 44585
@bryankodiak ;

Here is your solution;

2 Inch Lift Kit | Jeep Commander XK (06-10)/Grand Cherokee WK (05-10) | Rough Country

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got it done, painted the plastics under the door panel but debating putting them back on. It almost looks like it's got rock sliders from certain angles!

It now measures 21.5 inches from spindle to fender in the front, and 21 inches in the rear. Hoping the front settles down a bit more with time...

Front lift required super long pry-bars, 3 more techs plus me & staying in the shop way too late. Some sketchy, lowering the jeep onto jack stands while on the lift type of stuff. Did not need a spring compressor for the front or the rear... it may have made it easier though.

Back lift kit was a pain, the bump stop bolts were rusted and seized causing the heads to break clean off, but a 5/16th's cobalt drill bit & an Irwin 3/8th's EZ tap made quick work of it. Still took me a few hours.

It magically aligns camber and toe into spec, but caster is slightly off. I almost don't want to upgrade to bigger tires because these might be around for a while.

Double checked the bolt torque of the Upper & lower control arm mounts, sway bar links, tie rods & strut tower mounts after 50ish miles and some minor off-roading. Suspension bolts should be torqued after the weight of the vehicle is placed on them and broken in. Adjusted mirrors, seat & headlights/fog lights to an appropriate setting for the new lift.

Pictures, ignore the missing passenger fender flare, busted driver fender, front & rear bumpers... cracked windshield... she's a WIP

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Cloud Sky

Administrator
Finally got it done, painted the plastics under the door panel but debating putting them back on. It almost looks like it's got rock sliders from certain angles!
I replaced my door sills altogether, with brand new ones, 4 or 5 years ago;

The old ones were pretty beat up;

Big Blue's Garage: Upcoming upgrade/to-do list.... | Page 12 | Jeep Commander Forum

Also, it's probably not the best idea, to leave them off in my opinion, as it will likely cause other issues down the road (paint chipping, rust, potential impact damage etc).

Registered
2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QD-II
With that lift, I would definitely consider getting (at least) some adjustable upper ball joints, if not aftermarket adjustable control arms. I think you will be replacing your CV axles soon, otherwise. Looks awesome, though.

Administrator
With that lift, I would definitely consider getting (at least) some adjustable upper ball joints, if not aftermarket adjustable control arms. I think you will be replacing your CV axles soon, otherwise. Looks awesome, though.
Yep, that would probably be in @bryankodiak 's best interest, for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts