Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love it... still waiting for the hoop and need to get lights, but it changed the entire attitude of the Commander.

I did not have tow hooks, so I had to get the front fascia off. It went well --- no broken clips :) .

From there I installed the two outer stud plates (Quantity two 52090140AA Stud plate Right $6.11 ea. from Moparpartsonline)

Then the assembly began... I test assembled the Matrix in the hose so I knew what went where, then got to work... here are the results...

I still have the Front Guard 4, but have not yet confirmed what cutting is required beside the bracket clearances... Mike?!?

More mods on the horizon..........

Chuck

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looks like a nice simple weekend project!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I give some specific XK directions, including the dimensions for fascia cutting with pictures, on my website.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I saw your site...5-1/4 inches and 7 inches as parallel cuts. Please tell me no other cutting is necessary, because the instructions indicate more is needed for the skid itself.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you don't get the hitch do you need to kut at all?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't get the hitch do you need to kut at all?
Sorry... the Matrix requires no cutting w/o the hitch. The front guard seems to require some cutting. It wouldn't bother me, except two of the attacment clips go bye-bye (for the OEM lower spoiler) in order to make room for the 4xG front guard brackets.

Ok... we'll deal with that in a different post once I get that project underway!

Chuck

·
Registered
419 Posts
Actually, I saw your site...5-1/4 inches and 7 inches as parallel cuts. Please tell me no other cutting is necessary, because the instructions indicate more is needed for the skid itself.
Hmmm... those must be the old instructions prior to the Front Guard 4 redesign. The cuts I show on the website is all you need to do now. Really simple. Between my pictures and just eyeballing it underneath it should be pretty clear what's going on. Remember not to cut into that recess for the fascia mounting bolts. FWIW, I've had no problem with the fact that you lose two of those fascia clips.

And that's exactly right on the Matrix: no cutting unless you want to mount the optional receiver hitch. (Even then it's pretty darn minor.)

Looks great! And it'll look even better once the lights are on there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm... those must be the old instructions prior to the Front Guard 4 redesign. The cuts I show on the website is all you need to do now. Really simple. Between my pictures and just eyeballing it underneath it should be pretty clear what's going on. Remember not to cut into that recess for the fascia mounting bolts. FWIW, I've had no problem with the fact that you lose two of those fascia clips.
Yeah, I was wondering why it seemed the cuts could be narrower. No plan on destroying the recessed area where the retainer bolts will hold up the fascia and the brackets, but I appreciate the reminder.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Following the inspiration of El Cid, I now have my hoop installed, along with KC Apollo driving lights. I decided to by the Mopar wiring kit which had a nice harness and switch to mount in the rig. I also took care of my 4XG paint issues and topped the entire Matrix with a product called "Gravel Guard". I used the clear coat version, which has a nice, textured finish and should help repel scuffs and chips (we'll see...).

I also found some nice 2" wide body side moulding that will be cut to trim out the push bar section of the Matrix. That way if I do have to use it, it will have a padded surface. I am going to try to do that this weekend... here is a picture of the work thus far...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did not have tow hooks, so I had to get the front fascia off. It went well --- no broken clips :) .
so if you have tow hooks you dont have to take the fascia off then????

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
so if you have tow hooks you dont have to take the fascia off then????
Correct! The only reason the front fascia had to come off was to access the two pockets where the stud plates go. The stud plates are already there if you have tow hooks because the tow hooks are attached to them.

I actually messed up and bought parts I did not need... There is a pair of stud plates on each side, but you only need the "outside ones" (P/N 52090140AA).

Oh, it was helpful to see some close ups under an XK (or WK), and I did at http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505645 ... here is one of the stud plates for thew driver side.

You can see the OEM plate has two studs (on the far right of the photo).

The inner bolts are 4XG bolts through their supplied backing plate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks great. Do you have any pics of the mopar light switch you installed? I see you already have the factory fogs, so I assume that switch is on the turn signal stick. Just wondering where the additional switch goes.

I hope to add the Matrix soon.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great. Do you have any pics of the mopar light switch you installed? I see you already have the factory fogs, so I assume that switch is on the turn signal stick. Just wondering where the additional switch goes.
Actually, I put it where they suggested but I had plenty of extra harness and probably should have put it up much higher... too late for me.

Still, it is left in the "on" position so the drivers come on when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I actually messed up and bought parts I did not need... There is a pair of stud plates on each side, but you only need the "outside ones" (P/N 52090140AA).
Hey Chuck, I'm just starting to purchase what I need to eventually install the same guard and I don't have the front tow hooks. I went on the website you suggested (moparonlineparts) and entered the part number you provided, the description says that the part is a "radiator support stud plates"; is that correct? If so then you're saying I just have to order 2 of them? Can they be installed and stay in place way ahead of time before installing the guard?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Cool thanks for the info Albert! So would one require 2 "right" stud plates or 1 right and 1 left?

·
Registered
954 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts