Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting in the garage gathering dust for the past 2 years, I finally decided to install the 2.25 RR Lift. I ordered the kit with shocks as well.

Sorry no pics yet... I'm waiting to sell some computer components on craigslist before I buy new tires. I'm going for BFG KM's 255/75/17.

I can't believe I waited this long to install the lift. My fiance loves that she has to step up to get in the JC now.

I installed the kit with the help of a friend in just under 5 hours. I rented a strut spring compressor from Autozone and that was a time saver for the front. The front went pretty quick following the instructions that came with the kit. No serious problems. The rear was a little different though. We just disconnected the entire suspension for the rear axle and let the entire axle just drop using the jack. All I had to do was push down on one side a little bit to get the spring out. All in all, it went pretty smooth and I walked away with no scrapes or bloody knuckles. :)

Even without the new tires, I've been turning some heads in town. I absolutely love it! Can't wait for those new BFG's. Anyone need some computer parts? PM me..

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am not by ANY means busting chops...

Why does it take 5 hours?? We are putting mine on Wednesday and my buddy says we can do it in his shop in like 2 hours.. We said he did a GC in like 2 hours.. not too long ago..I am doing most of the work but using his Vehicle lift. Is the lift that much help??

THX

BTW I am installing a Terflex...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
milkman said:
I am not by ANY means busting chops...

Why does it take 5 hours?? We are putting mine on Wednesday and my buddy says we can do it in his shop in like 2 hours.. We said he did a GC in like 2 hours.. not too long ago..I am doing most of the work but using his Vehicle lift. Is the lift that much help??

THX

BTW I am installing a Terflex...
Sure, the job can go quicker if you have an impact gun that can fit into tight spaces. My lift was installed by hand.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
what has to be done with the lift?

it looks like from reading that all you need to do for the front is unbolt the strut, pop it out, bolt on the spacer and pop it back in.

the rear looks much easier. unbolt the bump stops, shocks, anti-roll bar links, and bolt in spacer with the bump stop and reinstall your spring.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am def not being an A**... I was just wondering why that procedure takes 5 hours....

Just curious... thanks

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
milkman said:
I am def not being an A**... I was just wondering why that procedure takes 5 hours....

Just curious... thanks
Two people in a shop can do anything faster than one guy in his driveway!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
milkman said:
he said " with the help of a friend"
Okay, still allot different then doing it in a shop! I had three people do mine in a driveway in about four hours, tools and level of knowledge make all the diff. Install yours and let us know if you make it in two hours, my money is on longer.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah i'm sure it's going to take a lot longer then two hours. Every time i go to the shop and work on my vehicles it takes twice as long as i expected it to. You always run into problems along the way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
milkman said:
he said " with the help of a friend"
Post your time after you install it. I dont think it can be done in 2 hours no matter if you are in a shop or in your driveway. i bet it takes you at least 4 hours.

·
Registered
283 Posts
We'll need an independent 3rd-party audit. It took me close to 3 hours to get 1 wheel done by myself, only 2.5 more with a partner to finish the other 3 (who knew what he was doing).

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I broke up my lift install over a couple days, so I can't say how long it would've taken had I just pounded through it in one day. The rear only took about an hour or so, but the front was a bit more tricky with the struts. Total time, maybe about 3.5 hours. If we had air tools, definitely would've gone quicker.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The drivers side front strut took us 2 hours to complete. We first tried the bolt cutting technique on the strut bolts but quickly realized it would go much faster if we just picked up a strut spring compressor. Include the trip to Autozone, 15 min and waiting on the elderly sales clerk, that chewed up 35 minutes. Once we had the first side back together, the passenger side front only took us 45 minutes.

All in all, it could have been done faster if we were full time mechanics. It didn't help that some of the time was spent catching up with an old friend, bull sh**ing, etc..

The lift is on and nothing was broken in the process so we handled it pretty good IMO. I wasn't trying to set a speed record.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ok.. Tera flex lift is on!! Revos go on today at 1:00 with an alignment!

We pulled it in 10:35... First wrench was turned at 10:55.

Last tire went on at approx 1:20

so approx 2.5 hours on install...

We did have a vehicle lift and a professional spring compressor. That prevented us from having to disconnect any control arms in the rear. The back took like 30 -40 minutes! Just had to disconnect sway bar at frame...

I dont why the instructions tell you to take out the bolts for the LCA to drop it to get the strut out?....

We found that if you disconnect the strut from its bracket on the lower end you can take the strut out without any compressors or anything....You still have to take the bolt out at the lower control arm but by disconnecting the lower part of the strut from the bracket you dont have to fight with the strut around the axle shaft... put some lube lube on the shaft on the lower part of the strut and it will slide out of that bracket pretty easily...One bolt holds it in the this bracket.

We found this way by accident.. I just started taking bolts out and later saw in the instructions that it doesnt even mention doing this... It saved alot of time...

While I was in there I took the cup out of the airbox!

Pics to come by tomorrow!

Jim

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good Job !! you got props from me. I didnt think it could be done that fast. I bet it looks good. Cant wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You crushed my time thats for sure! The spring compressor is a huge help as well as an assistant with a lift!!!
Congrats! Lets see it soon!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Job well done, now lets see the pics :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts