Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 did not come with a hitch i was wondering if any one has put one on theirs and what kind they used and was it all just bolt on?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did some one answer your question about the rear hitch?
If, not do a search for " HOW TO: Install the OEM hitch w/pic's"

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
My 06 did not come with a hitch i was wondering if any one has put one on theirs and what kind they used and was it all just bolt on?
It all depends on what you want. The OEM is more expensive, and requires you to remove a section of the rear bumper facia. Aftermarket hitches are available that are much less expensive and mount up using the same holes as the OEM, but the hitch drops lower and comes out just below the rear bumper facia so no cutting is required. This is the route I went. The hitch bolted on in less than 1/2 hour. There are wiring harnesses also available that plug in to your tail light assemblies. Good Luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just installed the OEM hitch and bezel. The hitch cost me $110.00 and the bezel was $72.00 from the dealer.. Not a big deal to install, took me maybe, 2 hours and it looks like the factory did it. The Commander is high enough in the back to put an aftermarket hitch on and not have a problem with tongue hight so it just boils down to what look you want..

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The Commander is high enough in the back to put an aftermarket hitch on and not have a problem with tongue hight so it just boils down to what look you want..
The aftermarket hitches will reduce the departure angle when off-roading so that has to be taken into consideration also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the curt manufacturing 13414 for just under a hundred dollars. It was very easy to install. All i had to do is drop the spare then undo a couple plastic rivets to give me a little space to fit the part in then bolted it on. NO CUTTING INVOLVED. I also got the curt manufacturing 55414 t connector for the lights. EASY AS PIE to put in. I would suggest this personally because you dont have to cut anything. The receiver shows just below the bumper and looks great. I have pulled 2 heavy wave runners in some deep sand with no problems and a couple u haul trailers. Great investment

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I actually had two installed on my 2010 that didn't come with one. The first was an aftermarket that the dealer thought they could get away with putting on hoping I wouldn't notice. It dropped down below the bumper farther than I was wanting. They took that off and put on a factory hitch. It was around 450 dollars. It was a couple of hundred more but it looks great and has the 7 pin plug.

It appears that both use a four bolt mount and the bolt heads go in far enough to make a larger spare tire very, very tight. I just pull a kayak trailer so I am not concerned about towing having an adverse affect on the vehicle.

I have been very pleased with the factory hitch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The aftermarket hitches will reduce the departure angle when off-roading so that has to taken into consideration also.
Yes, didn't think of that.. I love the look of the OEM unit myself. It was worth the money to me just for that reason..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts