Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just got my commander rocky mountain edition and would
like to know if its possible to add the automatic headlight feature...

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I think you can add almost anything you want now a days if your willing to pay for the cables and sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
auto headlamps

I dont believe that there is no way i can get auto headlamps on my commander, just called the dealer and they said its not possible......
has anyone done this if so please let me know....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply RED, it would be impossible for me since it was the last one they had. Im just baffled how this thing came with remote start illuminated entry delayed off for lamps but no auto lamps....

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yeah, you'll need the light sensor for the dash, the vehicle wiring harness to accept it, turn signal switch, and unknown programming to enable it in the computer. Like I said, can be done, no-one has yet that I know of, but would be way cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know for sure if it is possible, but I was able to make one free mod on my '06 Charger and now have auto headlights. You can follow this link http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20529&highlight=auto+headlight and check out how that is done. I know the Commander has a different headlight switch, but if it has the dual zone climate control, it may be possible with a minimum of new parts, like a new turn signal stalk with the auto headlight position.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I must bring this thread back from the grave... I have a 2010 XK and want to add automatic headlamps. I see the stalk is easy to buy (68015101AE) and I know where the light sensor is supposed to go, BUT what else is involved?

Is a special module or harness really needed?

Starscan code changes?

Pardon the pun, but can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I must bring this thread back from the grave... I have a 2010 XK and want to add automatic headlamps. I see the stalk is easy to buy (68015101AE) and I know where the light sensor is supposed to go, BUT what else is involved?

Is a special module or harness really needed?

Starscan code changes?

Pardon the pun, but can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
I personally can not answer specifically on this however, IF i was in your boat, I would start by looking at the sensor location on the dash. See if you can find any wiring going up to that point or a plug near by. Also, Check where your turn signal stock connects and take a picture. Then go to your dealer and see if they have the new auto stalk to compare (or a parts picture.) It is unlikely that the base wiring systems are different between all the commanders. Obviously it is between engines and 4x4/4x2 but i would make the assumption that everything else (ie base wiring) would be the same.
I would also think starscan might have something to do with it but again you would need to get in touch with someone at your local dealer who has adequate knowledge of programming to answer such questions. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
809 Posts
It is unlikely that the base wiring systems are different between all the commanders. Obviously it is between engines and 4x4/4x2 but i would make the assumption that everything else (ie base wiring) would be the same.
Unfortunately, that's not quite true. There are some differences in the wiring between model packages (T,U,etc) that makes some seemingly simple mods near impossible. If I remember correctly the auto headlights are paired with the automatic dual climate controls (and maybe rain sensing wipers too), and to add these features you would have to replace all the related wiring in addition to installing the hardware. I would say save your time and money and just turn your lights on when you drive.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I know I test drove a 2009 Sport with auto headlamps but no rain sense or dual climate... so I think it may be possible.

Not horrible if it isn't, but I hope somebody has done this mod.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hmm, maybe they changed things on the 08+ MY's. I guess I would start by looking under the dash to see if there's an empty socket by the sensor port. You might be the first to pull this off!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I have a 08 sport 3.7 with auto headlights and do NOT have dual climate control or rain sensing wipers

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I have a 08 sport 3.7 with auto headlights and do NOT have dual climate control or rain sensing wipers
My 2006 Commander with "U" package has auto lights. Since it is not a Limited, I do not have dual climate or rain sensing wipers. So, possibly, this can be done.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ah, a challenge...

It's too cold out (snowing in fact --- but not sticking) to work on the XK today, so it will have to wait.

Anyone have schematics or more detail for the Sport with auto headlamps?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Happy New Year guys!!! I was just driving my dad's 2006 WK Limited and enjoying the auto headlamps... it reminded me of this thread.

I want to compare the wiring diagrams of my XK Sport and the wiring diagram of a XK with auto headlamps... BUT Chrysler will not sell the 2010 Service Manuals (grrrr) that I typically buy for every vehicle I own.

can somebody scan them for me from the 2009 books? Need Base and U Package wiring diagrams for anything about the headlamp systems...

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Unfortunately, that's not quite true. There are some differences in the wiring between model packages (T,U,etc) that makes some seemingly simple mods near impossible. If I remember correctly the auto headlights are paired with the automatic dual climate controls (and maybe rain sensing wipers too), and to add these features you would have to replace all the related wiring in addition to installing the hardware. I would say save your time and money and just turn your lights on when you drive.
I have auto headlights, no dual climate, no rain sensing wipers. It is listed as part of the 28U package. :stickpoke:

·
Banned
246 Posts
I have auto headlights, no dual climate, no rain sensing wipers. It is listed as part of the 28U package. :stickpoke:
In case no one got the message the first time (post 14) or the second dhh3 has auto headlights without dual climate or rain sensors. That right folks, breaking news AGAIN!

·
Registered
362 Posts
In case no one got the message the first time (post 14) or the second dhh3 has auto headlights without dual climate or rain sensors. That right folks, breaking news AGAIN!
In dhh3's defense, I did bring this post back after several months of hibernation twice.

Winter is a nice time to research possible fair weather modifications, and automatic on/off headlamps is on my list of "possibles"...

Chuck

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
If you can constantly whine about your broken Jeep, then I can constantly boast about my wonderful Jeep. :bowdown:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts