1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Kenwood DNX 5190 is a double-DIN, the Commander's Dash doesn't fit double DIN, but it is close. The front face of Double-DIN vs Chrysler/Jeep standard radio is the same height, but the Double-DIN is slightly narrower by about 3/4". So any adapter has to have a cover or faceplate with about 3/8" on either side to take up the space left from the narrower Double-DIN aftermarket radio.

The real problem is, the standard Chrysler/Jeep radio has a body that is smaller than the face plate in front of it. While the aftermarket Double-DIN radio will have a body the same height and width as the faceplate in front of it. I.E. the aftermarket radio is going to have a bigger body than the OEM radio that has to squeeze into the dash opening behind the faceplate.

You'll have to cut up the dash opening to get it to fit, you'll need a dremel tool at least, to cut a lot of plastic get it to fit into the dash space that is for the OEM radio.

The Boston Acoustic system, has a factory amp that is controlled by the CAN bus. So if you have the factory amp, there is no way for the aftermarket radio to control the amp. You have to get one of the bus translators, and even then they do NOT offer full control of the amp, I "think" the bus translators can't do fading with the factory amp, because of the way the OEM system does it compared to aftermarket. In some ways it might be easier to just replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one.

The bus translators, you don't need them unless you have the factory amp. If you do NOT have a factory amp, then they can provide you a few things:
*The delayed power off for the radio, that allows the radio to still play for 10minutes after turning off the ignition, the translators will retain that feature, without it, the radio shuts off as soon as you turn off the ignition.
*If you have steering wheel buttons, they can translate so the buttons still control the aftermarket radio.
*Accessories like video or remote CD players, the translator may get some of those to work with the aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats crazy. i spoke to the guy at best buy and he was like "oh no problem" with installing it. I hope i am not going to have huge issues with this.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you do NOT have the Boston Acoustics System with the factory amp and do NOT have steering wheel buttons, then for an aftermarket radio with just the front face adapter, all you'll loose is the delayed shutoff, the aftermarket radio will shut off with the ignition switch.

What they have to cut out of the dash is plastic, with dremel it can be done pretty quickly.

In my case, my Double Din radio could NOT fit the opening at the right tilt, I kept having to go back and trim and trim, even grind down a washer on a nut as well, to get it to tilt back enough to fit the flush in the mounting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts