Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried to install the Mopar off-road lights onto the Mopar brush guard? The crush fittings and instructions have got to be the worst design ever. I can't get the fittings to crush correctly and have rounded off the nuts and damaged to power-coating on the brush guard. Does anyone have any better ideas for installing these lights?

Off to do something easier: installing my Gibson exhaust!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's what I have. The instructions say to insert the blind nut, thread the regular nut onto the bolt, thread the bolt into the blind nut, tighten the regular nut against the blind nut, then tighten the bolt to crush the blind nut into place. However, when I tighten up the bolt, it tightens up against the regular nut and won't go any further, preventing the blind nut from crushing. I've destroyed the original hardware so I have to get some new stuff. I also think that the bolts are too short as the lights are a multi-vehicle use set, so a set of longer bolts would help.

When I've dealt with these in the past, there's usually a small tube or similar with a shaft that threads into the blind nut, then tube goes over the shaft, a nut threads on the exposed end and then you tighten that, crushing everything into place. I might hit Lowes or Home Depot and see if they have something like that; Rack Attack might also have something in stock.

Any suggestions please post them here.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
What's important with using blind nuts is the tapered part that spreads and holds the blind nut till it compresses.
Typically, we use a air gun with an allen bolt in it and a tapered end around the allen bolt.

Here's some hand tools

Auto parts store sometimes carry the blind nuts and tool in their specialty section.
Lowes or Home Depot might also have them.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, that's the info I needed. I don't have any blind nut tools and the kit doesn't come with one. I bought some rubber expansion nuts but would rather use what the kit specifies. I'll hit my parts store this week and see what they have.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dabitz said:
Can anyone advice how to get a cable thru the firewall and inside the vehicle to install the switch?
I remember seeing a hole with a rubber membrane in the firewall near the drivers side. I don't have time at the moment, but I could try and snap a picture of it. I think I remember another thread where someone talks about using it to run wiring through...

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YB Normyl said:
There should be a few things going through the firewall with a rubber grommet, like the shifter cable, accelerator cable (3.7) etc. Find one you can get to from both sides and if there's not enough room to slide the wire in the existing hole, make a new hole in the rubber grommet.
Also, use a coat hanger or wire snake to thread the wiring through the grommet, it'll make life much easier.

Dabitz, did you get the lights installed on the brush guard? Or are you not using the Mopar brush guard?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
Also, use a coat hanger or wire snake to thread the wiring through the grommet, it'll make life much easier.
And wrap all wire in wire loom to protect the wire and give it a professional look.

·
Registered
541 Posts
No, I'm not using the brush guard, I'm using a custom bracket, I'll post pictures once done. Brush Guard was too much $$$ for me. Quick question, is it ok to power the lights from the cigarate lighter? I know you can power a radio that way, but I was wondering if it was safe to power my lights that way as well. I guess it is, unless someone here screams "no"... LOL

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Mopar kit is completely loomed & wrapped & terminated, essentially its plug-n-play.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Dabitz said:
No, I'm not using the brush guard, I'm using a custom bracket, I'll post pictures once done. Brush Guard was too much $$$ for me. Quick question, is it ok to power the lights from the cigarate lighter? I know you can power a radio that way, but I was wondering if it was safe to power my lights that way as well. I guess it is, unless someone here screams "no"... LOL
I wouldn't suggest it, especially if the lights you plan to use are a very high wattage. Install a Painless CirkitBoss auxillary fuse box and power the lights off that (unless you are using the Mopar kit as rwmorrisonjr indicated).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts