Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I recently purchased the MOPAR oval-style nerf bars from a member on the site. They come with 4 brackets, 2 for each side, that arrach to the bars and frame of the Jeep. After looking at the frame on both sides, I can't figure out where they bolt to. Has anyone installed these before? Is there any drilling required to attach them to the frame? Any help would help be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to have the same nerf bars on my Jeep. They should be very easy to install...no drilling necessary. Just line up the pre-drilled holes on your frame with the holes on the nerf bars. There are multiple holes on the frame, so you'll have to center the nerf bars to know which holes to bolt into.

You have 3 screws for each bracket, right? The hole on the frame for the 3rd (high) screw is a little difficult to see, but it should be there.

My jeep came with the nerf bars when I bought it, so I didn't actually install them, but it looked like all the holes in the frame were already there.

The only screw I had a hard time getting out when removing my nerf bars was the high screw on the front passanger side. You'll probably have some A/C lines that are right next to the screw, which will make it hard to screw in. I would recommend removing the plastic cover for the A/C lines to create more space. It's very easy to do.

I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
417 Posts
They really don't attach to the frame. They attach to the body pinch welds. If you measure from both the front and rear wheel wells It's about 15 inches in. If you don't see holes, you may have to drill them. I can give you better measurements if that's the case.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DHH3, that was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for all the info guys, it really helped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have rear AC, taking off that cover is absolutely necessary.

I had a hell of a time with that front passenger bracket - not only the AC lines, but the sheet metal at pinch welds was not lined up from the factory - the holes were offset (leaving smaller oval holes), and too high. I ended up having to toss in the top bolt, widen the holes slightly, get the bolts in crooked, and when I snugged down the nuts everything kind of pulled and bent itself into shape.

That madness aside, the bars are installed, and my kids (and my friends' kids) will quit trying to use the ground effects as steps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not the greatest pictures - but I have them handy. Most should find this to be a very easy install. If you don't have rear AC, it'd be a breeze.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts