Jeep Commander Forum banner

For less than $20, is a PDF Factory Service Manual an investment you would make?

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my whopping 4 Books worth of service manuals for the XK a while ago, and thought I was probably not the only one who would want to use them.

I wanted to see if there was an interest in a PDF version of these books from all of you. If there was enough interest in this, I would begin researching the means to convert the books to PDF format, and distribute the 'back-ups' to all of you that may already have the books. This is not a business venture, but I would try to regain some of the costs of hiring a service to handle this for me

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I would be interested but of course I would have to buy the book :)

·
2,248 Posts
AJ,
I also have it on CD/dvd that might be easier to convert without scanning. However we should probably not draw too much attention to mass producing them due to copyright problems. Will talk about it on the trail ride on the 28th. Do not want anyone getting into any trouble.

Bill

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, believe me! I intend to do this the 100% legal way. If I need to send a certified letter to Jeep requesting permission to copy the books, I will. This thread is purely for speculative reasons, and I don't care if Robert Nardelli himself reads this.

Bill- If your CD/DVD is the same as the service manual I have, then I guess there is no point in even perusing this. We should check that out.

Like I mentioned before, this isn't for me...I have the book already. I just wanted to try to make it available to others, if there is an interest- that is.

-AJ

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Where did you get the book at?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
CrzCajun said:
Where did you get the book at?
This is a dangling Participle.^^^^^^^^^ :D Grammar Police! On Patrol!!:D

I purchased the set of 4 books on Ebay (where else?) for about $80. They came in a huge box, for books, and take up a whole shelf.

Update:
I found that it would cost about $0.18/ page to have the book converted. That means it would be over $400 to do it. At $15 a pop, it would take roughly 20-30 purchases to recover costs. That means I'll need about 100 "yes" votes before I decide to drop the $400 for the 30% of you guys that would actually buy it. :)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
It's called being cajun!!! :D

I would definitely buy one for $15. Count me in.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
It would be hard to get 100 to buy it but I would go $15.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I'm one of those nuts that has to have the shop manuals... I got my '08 set from Chrysler and it has 6 books...

I've also got the CD version. Ordered the books because 1) The CD version appears "abbreviated" 2) I like having the book laying open next to me in case I have to refer to it (wife gets upset if I balance the laptop on the fender and she hates grease all over the keys :rolleyes: 3) I tried printing from the CD and the pages format "short", many sheets of paper for what is a single page in the book

A pdf version of the book, however, would take care of complaints #1 and #3...the pdf version would mimic the book.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
You guys should do a little research and see if a pdf version of the shop manual exists. For example, Toyota offers full access to the entire shop manual collection (in pdf version) for $10 for 24 hours of access. Basically, you can download unlimited files for 24 hours straight. You guys don't have anything like that?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
TR4Runner said:
You guys should do a little research, You guys don't have anything like that?
Almost thought Jeep5253 was back, how come you did not search for us? :D

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I don't mean to search the forum..... I meant that you guys should do some research to see if anything like that exists anywhere.... it would save a lot of time and effort.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
TR4Runner said:
I don't mean to search the forum..... I meant that you guys should do some research to see if anything like that exists anywhere.... it would save a lot of time and effort.
I know what you meant. Just having fun with ya!:D

·
Registered
488 Posts
TR4Runner said:

there are PDF manuals available, unfortunately not like what you suggest. and they cost around the $100 mark, even the 'dodgy' ones on ebay are more than the price suggested by the OP.

if it included the CRD engine I would be interested. not sure if the european manual is going to be different but its a good starting point

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think it includes the CRD. The book(s) are specifically for the 2006 year model...I believe it carries into other years, with very minor differences.

11 People so far...That would be about $40 per person at the time of this post.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
My reply is not a negative, but only so I can see the results. I have an 07, your manual is an 06.

I know there are several similarities.....I hope you are successful..but why not buy a service manual on a cd?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts