Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit that I am glad I got a 27 month lease and not financed. I want to keep options open when my lease expires. Don't take me wrong, I love my JC, but it is indeed one thirsty beast... all 3 engines are, including mine the smallest one.

I wonder if Chrysler might discontinue the JC, bloated inventories and so many glitches (driving noises, stalling)... they are already slashing production. I always dreamed about having a Jeep, and this is my first Jeep. I hope things work out and that they improve MPG ratings to at least 19cty/23hwy by 2009, but I don't think it is going to happen. I am still rooting for Chrysler.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15004014/

·
Registered
473 Posts
i don't know of an SUV out there that gets 19 hwy.
i feel my 3.7L at 15.7 mpg is pretty close to the average for a 4x4 SUV.
i've had S10 blazers and full size blazers and none got quite this good of mileage.
even the honda pilot that claims to be the leading fuel savvy vehicle only advertises 17 (i think). in the real world an advertised 17 is probably about 16.5. not too much better than the JC.
i think a HEMI is overkill for this vehicle but even its advertised mileage isn't too far off of other manufacturers.

i wouldn't expect to get much better mileage out of any 5000lb vehicle.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. I have the V6 as well and I am getting an avg MPG of 16.2 with about a 65%cty/35%hwy. But Chrysler needs to come up with something. A lot of people are taking that "save the planet" kinda attitude, and I respect that. There was a big discovery regarding the processing of ethanol a few weeks ago without exhausting crops or something like that. For what I can remember, ethanol can be mixed with gasoline. Experts claim that will reduce oil demand which will then drive gas prices down. I wonder if there is any study showing JC's emission of green gases compared for example to the H2 or H3.

I guess I am watching too much Science Channel, TLC, Discovery, etc. But this is indeed a subject worth keeping an eye on, especially if you got kids. One thing I did found out while shopping for a car was that Hybrids beside being expensive, you need to replace a battery every 4 to 5 years which costs about 4k to 5k and it is NOT included under warranty. People that finance current hybrids will deeply regret it because of that, which will also drive resale price very low. BMW's will run on Hydrogen by 09, but the technology is so expensive that BMW will only lease them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's been a long time since I had a new Jeep. Well accually this is the first time.:rolleyes: I worked hard to be able to get a new SUV of some sort. I chose the CMDR knowing gas prices are going up and the JC likes to drink (just like me:eek: ), so with that said. I'm gonna enjoy it, with or w/out gas, Just kiddin. I'm still gonna enjoy it regardless of what anyone else says, in or out of articles. They might not sill have JC's in 2009, but I will!;)

"Be proud of your Jeep, and make it known"

·
Registered
72 Posts
The best I got on my minivan with a V6 was 19, so the 15 or so I am getting with my V8 Commander is not a big difference to me. It does seem like that little needle on the gas guage goes down quickly, but my Windstar had a 26 gal. fuel tank on it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
my 99 durango with a 5.2 only got 12-13 mpg and my 96 windstar minivan with a 3.8L front wheel drive only got about 14. i bought it brand new.

the JC gets better than both of those and is a much nicer vehicle.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People are prefering smaller and more cost efficient vehicles over large size trucks/suvs. There is a very aggressive campaign out there about oil consumption, global warming, etc. that is hurting sales. I just saw a documental on TV that claims that if no new source of oils are found, all oil resources will be depleted by year 2016. This is a crazy subject and very controversial...

In my case I have a Mitsubishi Galant I use to commute 25cty/32hwy and the JC which I use for fun such as family trips, bad weather days, etc. What is the worse that could happen? That Chrysler sells Jeep to Ford? Oh gosh! dont' go there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If Jeep goes to Ford I will NEVER own another Jeep.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't understand the fuel consumption issues I see posted on the JC. I get a lil over 14 pulling a boat through the TX Hill Country, and get close to 19 on the Highway

·
Registered
398 Posts
Dabitz said:
People are prefering smaller and more cost efficient vehicles over large size trucks/suvs. There is a very aggressive campaign out there about oil consumption, global warming, etc. that is hurting sales. I just saw a documental on TV that claims that if no new source of oils are found, all oil resources will be depleted by year 2016. This is a crazy subject and very controversial...

In my case I have a Mitsubishi Galant I use to commute 25cty/32hwy and the JC which I use for fun such as family trips, bad weather days, etc. What is the worse that could happen? That Chrysler sells Jeep to Ford? Oh gosh! dont' go there.
There is a ton of mis-information being pushed by special interest groups either claiming oil will run out by 2016 or 2150 or even later. You have the global warming theorists and the oil companies pushing opposing viewpoints. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between.

Mankind historically has been full of itself in predicting doom and gloom scenarios by supposed experts of the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Daylight savings changes that the government is implementing in 07.. The next Y2K Doomsday scenerio...

I thought everyone had heard of this by now. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
The new Diesels will be the answer to higher mileage heavy SUVs. I have the Liberty CRD and at 4350#'s I get an easy 20 city/23 mixed/28+ highway. I can get 32mpg highway on trips between San Antonio-Ausitn and back. The new Bluetec (Mercedes) and Panther (the new VM replacements for the 2005-2006VM engines in the CRDs) will meet emissions standards easily and will give the "grunt" and "mpg" people want. Once you go DIESEL you will never go back.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dabitz said:
I don't think that will ever happen. Ford is in the same trouble that Chrysler is.
From what I have heard on Bloomberg Radio it seems that all US automakers are in the same boat - namely the Titanic! :(

Hopefully this will turn around and we will be back on top - but I think it will take a great shake up to wake the industry up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts