Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and couldn't see anybody doing this but thought it would be a good idea. I want to do interior grab handles like the back but in the front. There's plenty of room under the reading lamp or possibly the area between the sunroof and where the headliner drops towards the area where the lamp is. I want something just like the back to grab when on trails. Possibly just buy OEM rear handles and bolt them in the front? Suggestions? Has anyone seen or done this?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
That's a good idea. I've had complaints from passengers that there is no handle there.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
They weren't installed there originally as they would interfere with the side curtain airbag's operation. There isn't any metal or structural component above the front doors for them to bolt to.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
They weren't installed there originally as they would interfere with the side curtain airbag's operation. There isn't any metal or structural component above the front doors for them to bolt to.
What about the side curtain airbag in the rear ? The handles don't interfere with them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea people all the time complain or go to reach for a handle that probably should have come with it. I'm going to have to investigate and see what's behind the headliner and maybe something to bolt to. I think I'm on to a great idea and I can't believe this hasn't been discussed before!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great idea. Keep us all informed. I will also do it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the part number which is 1AH111D1AA. My concern is when I search that number it just says Chrysler part not commander specific. I also wonder if it comes in different colors. I'm going to try to look behind the headliner tomorrow and see if a bracket can be made because it seems behind the headliner in the front it's empty. Well see...wish me luck! Also there's two locations the handle can be added so if in fact the airbag is in the way it can be mounted next to the sunroof, although it wouldn't match the rear, it would be functional.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm tearing apart my commander and behind the headliner I can see the airbag which is relatively small and I don't see any reason why jeep never installed these. There is a plastic bracket with 2 small metal pieces giving the bracket support. I'd imagine just screwing a piece of metal or square tubing behind the headliner would be enough to bolt an OEM rear handle to the front. This would require cutting the headliner and a small piece of styrofoam behind the reading lamp in the front. The flat part between the lamp and the door is where the airbag is.

Without dropping the headliner these are the best pics I could get.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts