Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It might just be the Amazon (Chinese) LED's I got, but the weirdest thing happened. A few weeks ago I swapped out the overhead lights (the 4 door lights plus the rear dome ) and the hatch light. I went from the OEM bulbs to LED. No problems. 164's all around (hatch too).

Yesterday I got the rest of them delivered, and swapped out the two license plate lights and the two foot well lights. Then something weird happened.

I got in the car 30 minutes later and the overhead bulbs gave out that dim glow like they had just a touch of power going to them. This was new. So I pulled out the 4 new bulbs. Still happens. Replaced the 4 bulbs with the OEM glass ones and it stops the glowing. OK.

Replace the hatch bulbs with LED's = no problem. Pull out the foot well lights, and boom. Glow again. So it leads me to the conclusion it's the foot well lights. I'm guessing because the foot wells are 198's and I was using 164's, the draw is different, and the system thinks to feed low power to the bulbs. But the hatch was also a 198, so hum....

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
LED's have a much lower electrical draw. The interior lights (most) work through a dimmer circuit so when they turn off they slowly dim to off. With the lower draw on the electronic circuit who knows what will happen. The replacement LED's do not directly replace a bulb unless the bulb has a load built in - not many do. You can add load resistors to the circuit but that is a project all in itself. I serviced electronics for over 40 years and would not want to figure that one out. Easiest fix would be to remove the dimmer electronics - another project I'm not into. Possibly someone else had this problem and may have a fix.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have led interior and license plate bulbs. My footwells glow.

There is always power on that circuit, but not enough to light up halogen lights. LEDs have a MUCH lower requirement to light them up so you can get some glowing. Its not a problem that will kill your battery or anything.

If it bothers your night vision it is a problem though. You can get a resistor and put it in one of the overhead lights.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I bought these and have zero issues:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I90MMTU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

From LEDpartsnow if the link does not work for amazon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts