Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
just bought a set, i'll update w/pics when they get here and are installed.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
can't wait to see your pics runit3. i thought about picking up a set of red one's to match our commander, but wasn't sure how it would look.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Looking forward to some pics, that is not the kind of mod I normally do but one never knows what you can do when you get your hands on a Commander.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah the challenge is going to be not making it look like an over the top riced out honda. I've gone red and black all over my truck (installing black painted grill next week), 10% tint in back windows, lookin at finding an all black trim kit for the inside or just making one (everyone seems to sell REALLY bad fake wood), and a black powder coat on the rims when i get the cash. Project that never ends

·
Registered
189 Posts
So here they are! pretty simple to install and they look pretty nice. As far as functionality goes you can't see sh** if you're looking for a lost screw or small object at night. I keep a small LED flashlight in the glove box for things like that.

BEFORE

I took a multi-tool with a flathead attachment and jimmied it up between the cloth roofing material and the gray plastic light housing, and then pushed the clear cover out. I'm sure there's an easier less risky way to delicately open the housing but this worked and i didnt break anything. I had to pop the chrome reflector piece out of the socket, there was a small tab holding it in on the bottom (side facing floor). You just need to gently pull the bulb out of the socket, pop in the new LED and you're done. Unfortunately the reflector piece didnt fit back in with these LEDs but they don't have 90degree bulbs to reflect anything so there wouldnt be a point. Here's the finished look.
AFTER

These are only on the drivers and passengers seats. I have a set of 18 coming from a different retailer for the rest of the truck. I'll post up pics of all lights at night after they're installed. I also installed 2 12" LED strips underneath the driver and passenger consoles to illuminate the floor. Looks pretty nice and not over the top like cathode tubes. Definetly not for everyone but i like it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i like the look, kinda sucks you can't put the reflector back on. can't wait to see the rest of the pics. i'll decide on mine after your done with all of yours. thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Anyone know of some LEDs that fit with the reflector in place?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, whites would be MUCH brighter, it's not so much that these aren't bright, if you look directly at them it'll leave a halo in your eyes, but they are only one directional; and the red makes darker shades harder to see, and pretty much everything is a darker shade at night except reflective objects.
The set of other bulbs that's in the mail has panel bulbs, so it may completely fit into where the reflector was, appartently there are 18 LED's per panel and all dome lights including the hatch dome and all side bulbs will be converted :)
I realized last night that I could custom fab the reflector piece by snipping the dome and extending it out farther, but then when you depress the cover to toggle them on/off it would hit the reflector :icon_redface:.
I don't know if you can clearly see the reflector from the picture but the OEM light directs light at a dome, the dome directs it back at two semi-circular pieces and then out into the cabin. It gives a wider spread of light, but not as bright.
As far as other LED's I haven't come across any. I would imagine it would be very hard to fit an LED bulb within the original specs of the regular bulb. There are 3 transistors, a circuit board, and 9 LED bulbs. Maybe someone makes a bulb with only 3-5 LED's but you would loose a lot of light. You could definetly make your own with a simple circuit board some solder and LED's, the female unit that you plug the bulb into is very flexible (it can expand up to 1/2" and still give power) so you could make a wider circuit, more LED's and still fit them in the reflector by putting the male piece into the reflector BEFORE putting the reflector back into the housing. Probably more economical if you know how to solder and go to a specialty computer or electronics lighting store an jus bought a grip of LED's, boards, and solder. I don't have the time :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
i will get some pictures up of my car at night. i have the whole inside custom LED lighting. so when u open the doors. i have 1 12" LED strip for each door (blue). so 4 of those. then 2 more attached to the inside of the back door. so when u open that. it is like a rage party. and then blue LED bulbs in each socket above the doors that open when the doors are open. the car glows blue. and i mean GLOWS blue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
www.superbrightleds.com they have all the leds you will ever need! bulbs, single leds, bars, taillight sockets leds, and the festoon bulbs for older cars even! They also just started to carry dash board bulbs for behind your instrument cluster! Im looking at replacing my cluster lights..either white or blue since my climate control lights are burnt out. (of course that will be hard since all the cluster lights are the super tiny leds on a PCB)

·
Registered
4 Posts
red bull, i ordered some LED strips for under my seats and door panels as well. I was curious how you went about finding a 12V power source for them. I am really excited but I have no idea how imma go about doing that

·
Registered
100 Posts
red bull, i ordered some LED strips for under my seats and door panels as well. I was curious how you went about finding a 12V power source for them. I am really excited but I have no idea how imma go about doing that
superbrightleds.com has power supplies> They also show you how or at least tell you how to wire up a resistor to properly use a non 12V led in a 12v circuit(typically you need a 470ohm resistor.)

·
Registered
242 Posts
you need to learn that LED bulbs will not be as bright as the stock bulbs. because LEDS aim at a certain spot to give the brightest glow to. where as the normal bulbs just show everything around. and it has more of a visible light than LED.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ok so you can have a few choices here. you can either just wire it to the battery directly and put a switch on it to turn them on or off.
OR
what i did is wire it to the 12V cigarette lighter outlet near the driver, just cut those wires. and connected my lights to that. so that it turns on when the car is turned on. and off when the cars off.
:banana_hitit:

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok so you can have a few choices here. you can either just wire it to the battery directly and put a switch on it to turn them on or off.
OR
what i did is wire it to the 12V cigarette lighter outlet near the driver, just cut those wires. and connected my lights to that. so that it turns on when the car is turned on. and off when the cars off.
:banana_hitit:
ok cool thanks, while i have your guys' attention I got 2 questions for you. I recently put in all LED lighting and now I have an issue. all my lights work, however they only work manually, they used to turn on with the left hand lighting module, but now they dont. I dony know if its a simple fuse or relay change or what. Have you ever experienced this?

secondly for those cluster lights do they change the stock green color on the display?

thanks guys doesnt seem like theres a whole lot of activity on here lately so its nice to get some advice!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts