Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with a 2006 Jeep Commander. I cam out yesterday morning to find the battery was completely dead. After jump starting it, I noticed that the interior lights were staying on. The lights under the dash on both sides were on, and the lights above all four doors were on. The dome light was also on -- and they won't turn off.

I've resorted to pulling the fuse to shut them off and keep them off, for now.

I couldn't find anything that looked like a switch around any of the door frames, unless I was looking for something I wouldn't have recognized.

Has anyone else ever experienced a similar issue? Any tips on where/what to look at next?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It may be silly and I don't want to insult you, but did you make sure your dimmer wasn't set to always on? You know where you can dim the dash lights up and down. If you turn it too much you will have all the lights stay on. If you turn it the other way they will stay off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, no you make a good point. I did check all of that though, turning it up until the cabin lights would have been on, turning it off, etc., but nothing seems to affect the interior lights, short of pulling the fuse.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok, well I would check all door jam plug or sensor, disconnect battery and then reconnect, and finally I would take it to the dealer as it may be an electrical short of some sort.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Also check to make sure your back glass is shut!

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,684 Posts
Check to make sure all doors and lift gate are closed all the way. I have had my interior lights stay on a couple of times and it turned out that I hadn't closed the door all the way even though I thought it was. The dash idiot light wasn't even on to tell me it wasn't closed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thanks for the replies. I've double-checked all the doors, including the liftgate and the the back window glass. All are shut, and the idiot lights are working to tell me if one is ajar, etc. My guess is that there must be a short somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unhooked the battery and left it that way for a bit, but the same thing. As soon as it's hooked back up and I pop the fuse back in, all the interior lights come on.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I would double check your "stick" to make sure you did not rotate it all the way to the "on" position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i dont have the correct tools to disconnect the battery i am having the same problem its an 06 limited 4.7 V8 4X4 And no Manual in the truck anywhere any # row or idea what fuse it is?
Cause it will die tonight and i will have One Pissed Lady

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,684 Posts
i dont have the correct tools to disconnect the battery i am having the same problem its an 06 limited 4.7 V8 4X4 And no Manual in the truck anywhere any # row or idea what fuse it is?
Cause it will die tonight and i will have One Pissed Lady
You can download a free manual here--> http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I had an Oldsmobile which blew a fuse in a totaly unrelated area and that was causing its interior lights to stay on - check all fuses. You may have a blown fuse causing a back circuit.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The lights are controlled by the BCM. (Body Control Module) They should time out until a door/hatch is reopened, unless they're bypassed by the dimmer switch. There's a position for always on, and another to disable them.

The battery terminal left off for a while trick may reset something, otherwise it's a trip to the dealer. I'm thinking something failed because they should time out if a door is left open.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had this twice and the rear window was up. How it got up I have no idea. A little unnerving when you have valuables in the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts