Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goes for weeks, then Bling! Check engine light P0111

Clear code, goes for month or two, then Bling! Here is P0111 again

Any clues? I read some where that computer analyzes based on Ambient Air Temp, coolant temp, and oil temp, and if they are off by some factor, Bling!

I guess I could replace sensor (anyone have a part number?)

rockauto: OEM / Interchange Numbers: 5149025AA, 5149265AB, 56042395
HOLSTEIN 2ACT0138

$6.97

· Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went under the hood to check out the IAT sensor, and there is a "tuner" attached to the wires with some of those little blue plastic compression clamp-like things that come in trailer hitch connector kits. Tuner is zip-tied to something to keep it in place. The previous owner told me it "has a chip", but since I had already bought it where he traded it in, he did not feel inclined to offer any paperwork or much help at all. I am thinking the "chip" was a simple resistor that skewed the Intake Air Temperature reading lower, so the engine would get more fuel than would usually be provided. He had towed a small travel trailer with the Commander, so maybe he wanted extra power. I think I will remove that "tuner" off of the IAT sensor wiring, as I do not think that it ever changed the car's computer, just gave a false reading on the Intake Air Temperature.

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
Went under the hood to check out the IAT sensor, and there is a "tuner" attached to the wires with some of those little blue plastic compression clamp-like things that come in trailer hitch connector kits. Tuner is zip-tied to something to keep it in place. The previous owner told me it "has a chip", but since I had already bought it where he traded it in, he did not feel inclined to offer any paperwork or much help at all. I am thinking the "chip" was a simple resistor that skewed the Intake Air Temperature reading lower, so the engine would get more fuel than would usually be provided. He had towed a small travel trailer with the Commander, so maybe he wanted extra power. I think I will remove that "tuner" off of the IAT sensor wiring, as I do not think that it ever changed the car's computer, just gave a false reading on the Intake Air Temperature.
I'd bet folding money that if you remove that chip @Rxfire , you'll solve your problem.

· Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be a couple of weeks before I can get back and work on the Commander, will follow up with results

· Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Was able to get to the Commander today, and remove the "chip", which I think is actually a resistor. It was attached to the 2 wires for the IAT. Since the code was thrown intermittently, and infrequently, I will just have to see over time if that helped. Seems to run fine without it. It was a Tunesport Performance, no model or number on it, small matchbox size black plastic box with 2 wires coming out of it. Adhesive Material property Adhesive tape Wood Font

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
Was able to get to the Commander today, and remove the "chip", which I think is actually a resistor. It was attached to the 2 wires for the IAT. Since the code was thrown intermittently, and infrequently, I will just have to see over time if that helped. Seems to run fine without it. It was a Tunesport Performance, no model or number on it, small matchbox size black plastic box with 2 wires coming out of it. View attachment 45161
As I said before, I'd bet folding money that chip was your problem.

Now that you've removed it, I'd be very surprised if you see that code thrown again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts