Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.facebook.com/islandjim/videos/10216714251103569/?multi_permalinks=1144751889050728&notif_id=1570787152640516&notif_t=group_highlights
So this issue started coming up after I took the Jeep into the mechanic for the check engine light. Stereo, Speedo and tach shut off for a second (none of the others) and then pop back on. Doesn't affect engine, cruise or other functions.

I thought that it might be a short from the connections being improperly put back on from its resent time in the shop, so I took off the dash, checked the connections and made sure they were properly seated, but no-go.

It happens in vaious degrees every 3-10 minutes during operation. Like the video most of the time, but sometime the speedo and tach flutter with no stereo issue and then sometime full on stereo, speedo/tach shutoff, and then the ABS and service suspension warning coming on for a second and then resuming normal function.

I will take it back into the shop to see what they say, but I have a feeling that I need to start figuiriung this stuff out myself.

I have downloaded my service manual and will start deciphiring the wiring diagram, but I am wondering if anyone out there has seen this before??

Oh and I know it's not just because the ColdPlay CD was playing...it was doing it with Guns N Roses along with DMB and Incubus.:laugh2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like you could have a short somewhere - or a ground that is not properly grounded; I'd check fuses and the junction block as well;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/10-electronics-nav-discussion/55657-junction-block-explained.html
I am pretty sure you are correct. I need to get a little more familiar with the junction box issue and learn how to properly test for shorts, but there seems kto be a lot of material in here concerning that.

Funny thing is that after a week of this issue happening (just once every 5-10 minutes), it rained most of the night last night and as I drove it today, it didn't do it all day. That doesn't really make me feel any better, but it is one more data point.

I did order a BT reader and software that was suggested by you in previous posts to read some of the codes and finally get rid of the TPMS service warning I have been having. Come to find out that whoever had the tires done previously didn't put the TPMS sensor in the spare and I found it near the jack.

I will get this thing sorted out sooner or later.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I am pretty sure you are correct. I need to get a little more familiar with the junction box issue and learn how to properly test for shorts, but there seems kto be a lot of material in here concerning that.

Funny thing is that after a week of this issue happening (just once every 5-10 minutes), it rained most of the night last night and as I drove it today, it didn't do it all day. That doesn't really make me feel any better, but it is one more data point.

I did order a BT reader and software that was suggested by you in previous posts to read some of the codes and finally get rid of the TPMS service warning I have been having. Come to find out that whoever had the tires done previously didn't put the TPMS sensor in the spare and I found it near the jack.

I will get this thing sorted out sooner or later.
You might also consider having your battery checked to make sure it's putting out the proper voltage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts