Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 jeep commander 3.7l sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michigan weather hits again and my commander decided now would be the perfect time to cause trouble, I drove my commander around today probably 50+ miles at this point, i go to meijer to return some bottles and I come back out to the jeep. Starts like normal get driving a little and the brake light pops up on the dash, no acceleration, i pull off into a parking lot put it in park go to put it back in drive and the shifter won’t engage, I turn the headlights on and it dies, intermittent power I put the key in and I can hear relays clicking and the dash lights turning on and off but no crank whatsoever, let it sit for 15 mess with the key a little and it starts. System restarted because my clock was off. I drove it home no electrical issues park it and now no power. my battery is good my alternator is good and I just had a shop replace my starter, if you have any ideas where to start looking please share.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It sounds like the ignition switch module has failed. Not a difficult part to replace. Mine failed some years ago. It is located behind the ignition key mechanism. I believe there is a YouTube video that shows how to change it. There is an improved switch now due to problems with this. You may also want to check your battery cable connections on the battery and also where the ground cable connects to the body and frame and engine block.

·
Registered
2008 jeep commander 3.7l sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like the ignition switch module has failed. Not a difficult part to replace. Mine failed some years ago. It is located behind the ignition key mechanism. I believe there is a YouTube video that shows how to change it. There is an improved switch now due to problems with this. You may also want to check your battery cable connections on the battery and also where the ground cable connects to the body and frame.
Doesn’t seem to be the issue considering there’s no power when the door opens no interior lights nothing on the dash no locks no nothing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Michigan weather hits again and my commander decided now would be the perfect time to cause trouble, I drove my commander around today probably 50+ miles at this point, i go to meijer to return some bottles and I come back out to the jeep. Starts like normal get driving a little and the brake light pops up on the dash, no acceleration, i pull off into a parking lot put it in park go to put it back in drive and the shifter won’t engage, I turn the headlights on and it dies, intermittent power I put the key in and I can hear relays clicking and the dash lights turning on and off but no crank whatsoever, let it sit for 15 mess with the key a little and it starts. System restarted because my clock was off. I drove it home no electrical issues park it and now no power. my battery is good my alternator is good and I just had a shop replace my starter, if you have any ideas where to start looking please share.
Have the people that replaced your starter check the ground wire (dirty or corrosive connector) it’s shortening out your crank starter. I had a much similar problem with my 2008 Commander and that was the problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts