Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
iPad mini in dash install in the XK!

I'm installing my iPad mini into the dash. Just got the parts, going to get to it tomorrow. Anybody else do this, I think it's going to be awesome. I will post pics of my progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Sweet! How are you going to retain the radio's functionality? Did you have a VES?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The iPad mini is removable, I'm cutting a double DIN opening in it so you can still see the deck. I've got a Pioneer AVIC navigation unit. I can use the steering wheel controls to change songs and volume on the mini. I just have to recess the deck about an inch and a quarter for all this to work. Should have a lot of progress done tomorrow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got everything cut and fitted. Bondo sand and paint and should be able to try it out!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ready for primer.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here it is in the jeep, more sanding and a final coat of paint left to do. It looks factory, very happy how it turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Very cool! Nice work. How is your iPad connected to your stereo? Do you have a cable that's coming out of the side when the iPad is not in place? Cool idea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got everything painted, still waiting on a lightning to 30 pin adapter, I will glass it in and be all done. Then I'm going to glue in a suede backing to protect the iPad.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool! Nice work. How is your iPad connected to your stereo? Do you have a cable that's coming out of the side when the iPad is not in place? Cool idea.
Thanks. There will be a lightning connector glassed into the bezel. You will not see it at all when the iPad is in place. The lightning connector runs to my iPod connector on the back of the Pioneer deck. Will still have steering wheel controls also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got everything cleaned up and ready to install. But, still waiting on delivery of my lightning to 30 pin connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got everything done and wired up. Put the dash back together and cleaned the interior. Then got it out on the road and tried out some apps. All in all, I am very happy how this turned out. I might try this on my wife's car someday, if she will let me.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow, that looks really good!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the iPad tether via cell phone for internet connection for spotify and GPS access?
Yeah, I just use my iPhone as a hotspot wirelessly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DUDE! Thats brilliant and looks amazing, the fact that you recessed your stereo and kept the steering wheel features is on point. Ill have to steal this idea some day lol! great install looks clean

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DUDE! Thats brilliant and looks amazing, the fact that you recessed your stereo and kept the steering wheel features is on point. Ill have to steal this idea some day lol! great install looks clean
Fifield fabrication is where I got the iPad mount. I had an extra radio bezel incase I screwed it up, or want to ever go back to the way it was. I'm very happy how it turned out, I'm going to do it a little different. I'm going to disconnect the iPad from the nav unit and run it through Bluetooth. I'll run the Lightning connector down to the 12v plug to be able to charge it. I'm having to remove the iPad too much to change settings on the nav unit, with Bluetooth I shouldn't have to change settings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update!

So it's been a couple months and I've had to make a few changes. I did some more body work on the bezel, I had a few imperfections that were bugging me. My original deck was a Pioneer Nav unit from 2012. It was not very compatible with my iPad mini. I bought a bunch of cables and adapters, but could never get it to work how I wanted. So, I bought a new Pioneer Digital Media deck (single DIN). This deck is very compatible with the iPad. When I turn the Jeep on the iPad and deck come on and start playing music. Before I was using bluetooth, and there was about a 45-60 second delay before music would start playing. I jailbroke my iPad so I could install Activator and give the iPad different commands when power is applied and when power is lost. Everything functions just like a regular old car stereo. Now that I've fixed a few things, I could not be any happier how this turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 20 Posts