Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, searched for a little while, and couldn't find the answer.

What cable do I need to use my Ipod touch with my 06 factory nav unit?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't think there is a jack on the front of the factory nav units for 06. If that's the case you'll have to resort to an interface type set up like I have.

I bought the FM interface like what is seen HERE

There is also a direct connection kit but it's double the cost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have that exact same question!!!

I have a S60R Volvo with the ipod connection that allows me to advance the songs through my radio and steering wheel controls. What cable would I have to buy for the Jeep Commander that would allow me the same functionality?

Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The '06 NAV REC radio did not have any connections in the front, If you have the VES you can use an RCA cable to connect your iPod, otherwise you have to buy a kit and connect to the back of the head unit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The '06 NAV REC radio did not have any connections in the front, If you have the VES you can use an RCA cable to connect your iPod, otherwise you have to buy a kit and connect to the back of the head unit.
a49er

If you go that route, would you lose the ability to play a movie on the screen while trying to listen to your ipod through the RCA on the VES unit?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rip --

I think that's for the 2008-2009 Commander Models. I think there is some kind of "OTHER" adapter that is out there for us 06 guys.

I don't know what it is and because I've been looking at Jeep Commander and Volvo S60R adapters for the last 3 days, my mind is getting mixed up on which one is for which car!

Maybe a vet forum member can tell us...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Chapman89's link is one of the only two ways I know of to connect an iPod without using RCA's (the other can be found on the same site). That ebay link is only for the Commanders with UConnect. Plus (or minus, rather) I don't think there is any kit out there that adds the iPod and maintains steering wheel controls, unfortunately.

You know what would be cool? If you added an iPod and then spliced your now unused steering wheel controls into your manumatic shift gate controls so that you could select gears with your fingertips!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
a49er

If you go that route, would you lose the ability to play a movie on the screen while trying to listen to your ipod through the RCA on the VES unit?
Yes you would, But you should not be watching a movie in motion anyway. :stickpoke:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chapman89's link is one of the only two ways I know of to connect an iPod without using RCA's (the other can be found on the same site). That ebay link is only for the Commanders with UConnect. Plus (or minus, rather) I don't think there is any kit out there that adds the iPod and maintains steering wheel controls, unfortunately.

You know what would be cool? If you added an iPod and then spliced your now unused steering wheel controls into your manumatic shift gate controls so that you could select gears with your fingertips!
Kansas1230 --

So are there different kinds of "UConnect" ?? I setup my wifes bluetooth and it say's something about uconnect when I set it up. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still learning about the Commander.

That sucks that there is nothing out there that allows you to change the songs on your ipod through the radio "song advance" or through the steering wheel. It just seems safer than grabbing your ipod and changing songs that way.

Yes you would, But you should not be watching a movie in motion anyway. :stickpoke:
I wouldn't be watching the movie....our kids would :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump for this?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Says it will work on the 2005 Commander, so it should be good to go!

In seriousness I can't say from experience whether it will work or not, but the pin system looks similar. Here's a pic of the back of the 6 Disc REF. The red circle corresponds to the audio input pin with the Mopar FM modulated iPod kit. Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts