Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's only supposed to work in the vehicles that have the J1850 Computer not ours with the Can B system that the WK and XK have:(

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got an ipod and all I did was buy a "transdock" and plug into the cig lighter, slip in the ipod , tune to the right frequency and voila! Very clear, easy. Now we can all go back to the age of an am/fm radio and chuck all the cd's. I am as happy with the ipod as I am with the commander.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got the standard factory radio in my commander. I didn't want to upgrade because later I am going to be putting in a nice aftermarket system. However, I am suprised by the quality of the standard stereo. Sounds much better than most new cars come with. Anyways, a great feature is the aux in on the front of the player. Plug one line in and you get a direct connection between your ipod and stereo to stream whatever your bitrate is. Which makes for much better quality. While the radio frequency are only radio quality (64bit). Does the upgraded factory systems have this aux in?

·
Registered
38 Posts
leighj said:
I just got the standard factory radio in my commander. I didn't want to upgrade because later I am going to be putting in a nice aftermarket system. However, I am suprised by the quality of the standard stereo. Sounds much better than most new cars come with. Anyways, a great feature is the aux in on the front of the player. Plug one line in and you get a direct connection between your ipod and stereo to stream whatever your bitrate is. Which makes for much better quality. While the radio frequency are only radio quality (64bit). Does the upgraded factory systems have this aux in?
i have nav and there is no aux in

i wish it did, but the 6CD changer plays MP3 cds...so I have just loaded up a bunch of CD-Rs with about 100-150MP3s on each.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in the same boat as aglio but I have been using CD-RW's so that I can re-write them when i get new songs. I have that NAV unit too and I wish there was a good way to add an iPod. The FM transmitters don't work well enough for my ears. But the mp3 capabilities in the radio are good enough for me right now!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you do not have an auxiliary port on the front of your radio, it is because you have a DVD player. The iPod can be played through the radio speakers by using a Y-splitter audio cable that plugs into the audio input jacks on the DVD player and then pressing the mode button until the auxiliary input is recognized (the iPod must be playing for this to occur). However, for all you iPod lovers, and I include myself in that population, I was disappointed when I conducted a comparison between the same song on CD and my iPod...the compression diminishes the sound quality to the point where it is noticeable. I have since purchased two 12 CD visor holders and gone back to CDs...in my Commander at least. I still love my iPod Shuffle for running and weightlifting and the iPod Mini for the beach.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use my ipod by going through the dvd player. It works pretty good. As far as fm modulators the "Trasndock" is far superior to any other fm modulator I have used. If you have the navigation but not the dvd player I don't know of anything else besides the transdock. I use a little remote on my ipod and keep it in the center console using the transdock in my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We recently purchased a Commander with the "upgraded" RAQ 6-disk MP3 playing head unit and wanted to be able to plug in our iPod, but the RAQ has no auxiliary input and we have not had good luck with the iPod FM transmitter accessories.

We found a brand new REF single disk head unit on eBay for $36 that was removed by somebody to upgrade to a NAV unit. It looks identical to the RAQ model and has the same power output and the auxilary input is right in the lower left corner as pictured above. The install was extremely easy - just remove the 16 hex head screws on the front of the dash and gently pry the front fascia off the rest of the dash to get access to remove the 4 screws securing the radio and complete the swap. The only drawbacks are that you lose the 6 disk changer and MP3 capability (which you probably don't need if you're using your iPod) and the "info" button that allows you to see the artist name and song title from some FM stations.

For the money, it's a lot less expensive than the Apple/Chrysler product you referenced above or any other aftermarket kit and it's easy and free to install yourself. Plus, it's a factory radio that looks and sounds exactly like the RAQ model. If you decide to go this route, just search for 'Jeep AUX radio' or 'Jeep REF radio' on eBay. Take care...

Brandon

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The 2008 navigation system will have an auxillary in, voice recognition, 2D/3D modes, touch screen, 20Gb hard drive, DVD video while in park, Gracenote, etc.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav_2.htm

It will unfortunately not be compatible with the 2006 and 2007 Commanders.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wiggidy,

Where did you find the cable that you used to connect your IPOD to you stereo unit? I am looking for something like that for the XK and have had no luck.

kidatforty,

I got the TransDock and am getting a lot of static noise from the engine on my WK. Do you get static?

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
556 Posts
GCT00427 said:
Wiggidy,

Where did you find the cable that you used to connect your IPOD to you stereo unit? I am looking for something like that for the XK and have had no luck.

kidatforty,

I got the TransDock and am getting a lot of static noise from the engine on my WK. Do you get static?

Thanks,

Chuck
Same problem here with the docking system. I just went to our local elecronics store and baught a little package with diferent connectors and cables. only like 12 bucks. I have a red/black audio cable in my aux in the dvd in the back, connected to an extention that goes straight into iPod or car charger adapter.

·
Registered
331 Posts
although there is no clean place to link an ipod in ours (has nav, dvd, back up camera) both the front cd player and dvd player can handle mp3 discs. this means that my kids can listen to what they like, and my wife and i can listen to what we like. not a big deal to dump your favorite 200 songs onto a cd, so i don't mind no 'aux input' jack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah...I started having second thoughts on the IPod integration kit...so I called my dealer and let him know that I would not be able to do it at this time. Instead I ordered a Pioneer DEH-P4800MP along with the Pioneer Ipod adapter from Crutchfield for $189.99 with free shipping...:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the NAV sys but don't have the DVD; I would think that the DVD has to use an input on the head unit. Wouldn't that input be available for an iPod? I'm thinking that there has to at the very least be a way to simply direct connect even if it not a sophisticated integration such as it displaying on the NAV unit.

-mike

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
lumberjim said:
although there is no clean place to link an ipod in ours (has nav, dvd, back up camera) both the front cd player and dvd player can handle mp3 discs. this means that my kids can listen to what they like, and my wife and i can listen to what we like. not a big deal to dump your favorite 200 songs onto a cd, so i don't mind no 'aux input' jack.
With the DVD (VES) option, you can plug your Ipod into the aux inputs of the DVD player. Then switch the nav unit's mode to "VES". This doesn't allow you to play a DVD for the kids at the same time but it is one option for connecting an iPod to your head unit. Another option would be to add an FM transmitter to the iPod and then use a shutoff relay on the FM antenna of your Jeep.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.