Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has used Iridium Plugs, and if so, where could I get (or order some)? a lot of websites only sell 'em for the Grand Cher. That would be it wouldn't it?

Also, did you notice a difference with 'em?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Iridium Plugs ???

Check the G/C oem plug type. If it's the same for the CDR, put same Irid. plug in the CDR.

·
Registered
274 Posts

I put them in my my 03 Liberty, I couldn't believe the performance increase for just plugs. I got mine at Autozone.

I tried to get them for our 02 Grand Cherokee w/inline 6. Autozones data base didn't list the iridium plug for it. The guy said it was a hotter plug, so that's probably why. (go figure):rolleyes: Reading up on the NGK site, it says it has a smaller tip made of iridium, since the tips so small, it takes less voltage to fire the plug. More efficient, lasts longer. I like them and will buy again if the plug lasts.

IMO, if it dosen't list it for the XK, I wouldn't put them in without dropping NGK an email. Just to be sure.:cool:

I hope NGK lists it, or says the plug for the 4.7 in the GC will work, by the time I'm ready to change them in the XK!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks Mango,
I've been away from home so long, I've never heard of Iridium untill this forum. Didn't know if they were a special order item or if you could pick 'em up from the local auto store.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Iridium plugs are awesome. I havent installed them in the commander yet, but advance auto and autozone both list them for the commander. I will change them out when I go to synth oil at 3K. Will also install the K&N at that time, and will disconnect the battery to clear the computer so it all starts fresh with the iridium plugs, synth oil, and K&N. Will be interesting to see what it all yeilds.

I use NGK Iridium plugs in my Olds 442, and they made a huge improvement in cold starts, smoothness, and better idle quality. Not sure of more power, just smoother, revs quicker, and takes advantage of hi voltage coils. Denso makes Iridium plugs too, but I prefer the NGK's. YMMV

But, almost anything is better than the champion crap that is in there.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Bulldog9 said:
Iridium plugs are awesome. I havent installed them in the commander yet, but advance auto and autozone both list them for the commander. I will change them out when I go to synth oil at 3K. Will also install the K&N at that time, and will disconnect the battery to clear the computer so it all starts fresh with the iridium plugs, synth oil, and K&N. Will be interesting to see what it all yeilds.

I use NGK Iridium plugs in my Olds 442, and they made a huge improvement in cold starts, smoothness, and better idle quality. Not sure of more power, just smoother, revs quicker, and takes advantage of hi voltage coils. Denso makes Iridium plugs too, but I prefer the NGK's. YMMV

But, almost anything is better than the champion crap that is in there.
Do you have to call them, for the Iridiums? I couldn't find 'em anywhere on those two sites.

·
Registered
527 Posts

bravo2376 said:
Do you have to call them, for the Iridiums? I couldn't find 'em anywhere on those two sites.
Here is a link. I just log onto the site, tell them what vehicle I have, and then the part type.

THis link is for the Iridium plugs,

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=NGK&mfrpartnumber=6441&parttype=960&ptset=A

This link is for the Spark Plug page.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=960&ptset=A&searchfor=Spark+Plugs

Not sure these will work, I'm not too savvy with this stuff.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bulldog9 said:
Here is a link. I just log onto the site, tell them what vehicle I have, and then the part type.

THis link is for the Iridium plugs,

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=NGK&mfrpartnumber=6441&parttype=960&ptset=A

This link is for the Spark Plug page.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=960&ptset=A&searchfor=Spark+Plugs

Not sure these will work, I'm not too savvy with this stuff.
The first link was perfect. THX. Just ordered 8 of those suckers. Better be worth it:p The wife is gonna start hiding all my cards:eek: Backwards huh?

·
Registered
6 Posts

I'm working on putting in the new Bosch Platinum/Iridium Fusion plugs. My stupid question is, where are the plugs located? Are they the eight cylindrical towers on top of the engine surrounding the air intake? I hope so since there is no clearance on the sides of the V8 where I'm used to seeing plugs. I didn't see any plug wiring down there so I hope that's a good sign.

Mike
06 Commander 4.7l

·
Registered
24 Posts

The 5.7 v8 service is change plugs every 30,000 miles so going to the expensive , I don,t think is justifiable. When you remove the plugs at 30k miles they will probably look very good. Kinda like swithching to sythetic oil but still changing your oil at 3000 mile intervals. But it's just my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts

bravo2376 said:
On the 4.7 they are located the same area as most other v8. They are straight up and down 4 on each side with some screwy type wireing/cables.
And are the plugs right on the topside of the engine?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yes. I am not a mechanic/tech and I changed my plugs in less than 30 min. no problems. Except I dropped one of the nuts from the caps and replaced it with the nut from the oil dipstick bracket:eek:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Are there any problems with the control modules resetting themslves after you change your plugs?

·
Registered
527 Posts

Creek said:
Are there any problems with the control modules resetting themslves after you change your plugs?
I doubt it, the only difference is a more effecient spark. It may "re-learn" or adjust to the new plugs.

·
Registered
240 Posts

bravo2376 said:
I unplugged the battery while changing and left unplugged for about 30-40 min. total. All works good now.
Did you get any improvements in gas mileage or is it all in smoothness?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I average around 12mpg because I havnt had time to go any where lately, so that is mostly in town stop and go. So couldn't really tell ya without ddoing math and keeping track in between fill ups.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts