Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
Or will the PCM need reprogramming?
That's a good question.

I don't think the PCM would need reprogramming, but, I'm not 100% certain.

I thought - and I could be dead wrong - that the only difference with the Flex fuel vehicle (like mine) and a regular 4.7L is the material that the hoses are made out of.

I was told some time ago that he Flex Fuel vehicles have hoses that are made of an alcohol resistant material, which is supposed to make the hoses resistant to drying out & cracking.

I'm not aware of any programming differences, within the PCM for a Flex Fuel 4.7L and a regular gas 4.7L.

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good question.

I don't think the PCM would need reprogramming, but, I'm not 100% certain.

I thought - and I could be dead wrong - that the only difference with the Flex fuel vehicle (like mine) and a regular 4.7L is the material that the hoses are made out of.

I was told some time ago that he Flex Fuel vehicles have hoses that are made of an alcohol resistant material, which is supposed to make the hoses resistant to drying out & cracking.

I'm not aware of any programming differences, within the PCM for a Flex Fuel 4.7L and a regular gas 4.7L.
Did your Star Scan show up?
Maybe you'll run across some specific Flex Fuel parameters
Do you run across any E85?
When I was in Hawaii, the Costco carried E-Free

· Premium Member
Dallas TX
722 Posts
I wonder if you reach out to one of the ecu programmers and asked them if there was a difference in programming - mabye they would know... maybe

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if you reach out to one of the ecu programmers and asked them if there was a difference in programming - mabye they would know... maybe
It would be good to know for future reference
Was looking at a donor Commander, the listing said Flex Fuel.
But there was no badge on the lift gate, and build sheet didn't list a Flex Fuel.
Sent an email requesting clarification.

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
It would be good to know for future reference
Was looking at a donor Commander, the listing said Flex Fuel.
But there was no badge on the lift gate, and build sheet didn't list a Flex Fuel.
Sent an email requesting clarification.
You are correct; a Flex Fuel Vehicle would be listed as such;

On the build sheet under "Optional Equipment" you would see "FLEX FUEL VEHICLE"

Additonally, you'd have the badge you mentioned on the tail gate and a yellow gas cap, marked with E-85.

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
It's here, going to hook it up tonight, so, maybe I'll have some info for you later on this evening.

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
Isn't there a "P" in a certain location in the VIN that identifies the vehicle as flex?
@4GVN.ADV ;

You had me stumped, so, I looked at my VIN and there is no "P" anywhere in the VIN.

I really believe that the only difference is, the material that the fuel hoses are made out of.

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
@jklightner ;

O.k. I was playing around with the Star-Scan a little more tonight and it does appear that there is at least one E-85 specific setting that I came across;

Standby a minute & I'll post a pic.

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So apparently, there is at least some programming involved in the PCM for a Flex Fuel/E85 Vehicle;

I hope this helps you.

I'm guessing ethanol level would require changes to injector signals and timing to prevent knock, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts