Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a commander soon. Just wanted to know it the back up camera is standard with all nav units. I have heard that it is only on the late 06's and up. Do you still have the sensors with the camera?

·
2,248 Posts
If you are talking about the backup sensors, they are a seperate system and you can certainly have both. Mine has both the camera and the sensors. I am thinking about adding another camera up high on the rear above the rear hatch. Much of my view is blocked by the spare tire carrier and the NATO gas can and my sensors are blocked by the spare tire carrier frame.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looking to buy a commander soon. Just wanted to know it the back up camera is standard with all nav units. I have heard that it is only on the late 06's and up. Do you still have the sensors with the camera?
I have an '06 with both the sensors and the camera but they were two separate options so not every Commander has them both.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I have an 06 with NAV, backup sensors, but no camera. Not standard....

·
Registered
451 Posts
My 09 has the nav w/back-up cam and the sensors. They are separate systems and a little redundant. I prefer the mirrors and rarely pay any attention to either one of the systems. I have found the back-up cam handy for hooking up a trailer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the backup camera is avaiable on the 06s?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
There are two back up cameras available for the 06. One is just the camera itself, and it wires into your Nav Radio. The other one consists of the camera and a screen. The screen mounts on the drivers side windshield post. You can find these at justforjeeps.com or jeep.com, under: for owner, then under Jeep accessories. justforjeeps.com offers 10% off everthing they sell, but you have to pay shipping.:eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
So the backup camera is avaiable on the 06s?
Yes, My 2006 came with the back-up camera with the monitor in the radio head unit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so now I have a few more questions. Hoping to have them answered without starting a new thread.

1. I assume since the vehicle I'm planing on buying has the screen it also has nav right?

2. You CAN play movies on the system. (While in park)

3. This vehcile has no back up camera, found a license plate mounting camera on ebay that ties dirrectly into the nav unit. It claims that the camera just plugs in, then automatically activates when you put the vehicle in reverse. Is the possible?

4. How good is the nav system. I have a good mobile gps, is it similar. Does it show the vehicle moving and the next turn etc.

5. How easy is adding a Ipod. Are you able to control the Ipod through the screen.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
RipTheSix said:
1. I assume since the vehicle I'm planing on buying has the screen it also has nav right?
Maybe. If it is an "06 and the unit looks like the one below then it has NAV. This is an REC NAV unit.

2. You CAN play movies on the system. (While in park)
The REC NAV unit which was available in the '06 and '07 models will not play DVD's. However if you have the DVD player in the rear you can play DVDs on it if you buy a Lockpic.

The MyGIG unit which began with the 2008 model year will play DVDs in park.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts