Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new Commander owner and have had the embarasing moment of having a Pajero owner pulling me out of a bogged situation. The problem is in loose drift sand the 245/65/17 tyres are useless, no flotation even when pressure is dropped(no sidewall height). I see a lot of people are going for the 255/70/17 with 2"lift. I was wondering has anybody gone for the 265/75/16, with 16"rims and back spacing? :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
16" rims will not clear the brake calipers!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
From what I hear some 17 inch wheels (JK Rubicon wheels) dont even fit the commander due to the caliper. I guess you need a wheel spacer just to run those wheels because they have a lip on there the caliper wont clear.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
You are right about the importance of sidewall when deflating the tires for sand driving, it makes alot of difference.

But then I suggest you go for 70s or 75s with 2" lift on your OEM 17" rims. and the sidewall for a 70 tire on 17" rim is same as 70 tire on 16" rim.

I'm running 265/65/17 (wide tread Matercraft tires), I drive very smoothly on very soft sand dunes. and I used to drive on my original tires on sand for more than a year too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello a49erfan,
Does that go for steel rims as well as alloy rims as the alloy rims are thicker. Do you think steel rims may clear the calipers.:icon_confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Ahmed,
The reason for going for the 16 as oppesed to the 17 would be because for the same tyre diameter you could get a much taller side wall approx 1 inch which in turn gives you a much bigger footprint when let down. For example a 265/75/16 will have a similar diameter to the 255/70/17 but would have a lot taller sidewall and be much more readily available in the outback of Australia as mining companies use them and not 17's. Just a bit of background, it is really hard to source 17's in the midle of nowhere.:ugh2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts