Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters I'm new to the forum. Registered at the beginning of September but my account was just activated a couple days ago. Glad to finally be official.

However I was curious about the size of the tank. Tank is supposed to be 21 gallons but the most it ever takes at the pump is about 14.5. Is this the same for anyone else. Seems odd for the light to come on with almost 7 gallons left.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Once I was driving in Indiana and the low fuel came on and the gauge was below E. We must have driven about 40 miles before finding a gas station. Filled up with 16 gal. So I think every car is different but there is usually a lot more in the tank when low fuel comes on. Some people have the opposite - when low fuel comes on the engine dies:) Thought about carrying a can of gas and running it out to see how far I could go after the low fuel light comes on. Just one of those "need to find out my car's quirkes" things.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have pushed my 06 4.7 to where the computer says "zero miles to empty" and still could only put in 17.5 gals.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
For starters I'm new to the forum. Registered at the beginning of September but my account was just activated a couple days ago. Glad to finally be official.

However I was curious about the size of the tank. Tank is supposed to be 21 gallons but the most it ever takes at the pump is about 14.5. Is this the same for anyone else. Seems odd for the light to come on with almost 7 gallons left.
Must be something wrong with your fuel gauge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only had the vehicle since May so I hope not. It's a '06 4.7L V8. However I refuse to pay the money the dealer will charge just to look at it so I guess I'm stuck for now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We've never been able to put more than 18 gallons in ours, and my wife is notorious for driving around with 0 miles to empty. I usually fill up as soon as I hit E and I average about 17 gallons. I think it's just a wide, flat fuel tank.

·
Registered
954 Posts
My build sheet says that my Commander comes with the optional 21 gallon fuel tank. That makes me think that the larger tanks are not standard. BurghXK, could it be that maybe you have a standard 18 gallon tank, if that even exists?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts