Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced thier fuel filter because of sluggish, hesitation after startup? I'm thinking this could be the solution to my problem. I'm having issues after startup when pulling out IF i don't let the '06' 3.7 warm up and idle for at least 20 secs. It'll try to stall and will not go if I start and engage gear, as though it's not getting gas. This will go on for 5-7 secs. then it'll accellerate and resume normal drive. Never seems to happen when I let it warm up for a few. I don't think it's the pump, I hear it running and shut down when key is turned. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I didn't think you ever needed to replace the fuel filters in these newer vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The fuel filter is a "lifetime" product. Besides your symptoms don't sound like a fuel filter.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The filter was just a thought.
The idleing after startup is rough, like it's struggling to stay running. After a short time, it'll run smooth. Never any codes thrown. I took apart the air intake and cleaned the throttle body with mass airflow cleaner, and the problem persists. There are sensors around the throttle body, do any of these ever need cleaned or maybe replaced?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Problems such as this in this modern age are always sensors of some kind. The days of checking AIR-FUEL-SPARK are gone forever.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Has anyone replaced thier fuel filter because of sluggish, hesitation after startup? I'm thinking this could be the solution to my problem. I'm having issues after startup when pulling out IF i don't let the '06' 3.7 warm up and idle for at least 20 secs. It'll try to stall and will not go if I start and engage gear, as though it's not getting gas. This will go on for 5-7 secs. then it'll accellerate and resume normal drive. Never seems to happen when I let it warm up for a few. I don't think it's the pump, I hear it running and shut down when key is turned. any ideas?
You can connect a manometer to measure pressure and in strips, then make conclusions about the fuel system.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle? When was the last time you changed plugs? Ignition cable?

The designers do intend for the fuel filter to last the life of the vehicle. Pretty sure you have to lower the gas tank to replace it. Its more modern fuel is the reason they don't need changed as often, much better quality control.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks. I'll pressure test the fuel system.

I bought this w 42k, installed the Iridium 1X plugs only, no wires,at 46k, currently have 55k. This problem occured before the plug change. and still happens. That was my first guess. I'm able to live w it, just every once in awhile I'll forget to let it warm up for a few, take off and it'll just about die on me, and after a few secs catch and everything will be fine. It's frustrating. Maybe i'll replace the ignition cable and go from there.
Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Thanks. I'll pressure test the fuel system.

I bought this w 42k, installed the Iridium 1X plugs only, no wires,at 46k, currently have 55k. This problem occured before the plug change. and still happens. That was my first guess. I'm able to live w it, just every once in awhile I'll forget to let it warm up for a few, take off and it'll just about die on me, and after a few secs catch and everything will be fine. It's frustrating. Maybe i'll replace the ignition cable and go from there.
Thanks for the advise.
Yea, the new ignition systems, they do some revolutionary designs NOT universally supported by typical plugs. Most people stick to the exact brand/model recommended in the O.M., because they are tested and proven to work properly with your ignition.

Some of the ignition system have reverse current flow in half the plugs, that reverses the anode/cathode effect of those plugs, and with different metal plugs, like single platinum/iridium, the result of reversing cathode/anode is the rate erosion is much much faster. The fact the makers of double platinum plugs advertise this is exactly why they make double platinum, is proof that there is something to this theory.

As well, the number of people that report ignition symptoms shortly after changing plugs, leads credence to it also.

You problems could be ignition, and using the different then recommended plugs would lead me to NOT rule out ignition/plugs as a possible cause yet.

A new set of plugs (by brand/model, part number in the O.M.) and the hour to replace them, may be worth it to eliminate it as a possible cause.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good call. I'll put the stock plugs back in. I have a vacation planned in August, I'll put them in for this trip and see how it does. I'll get back to ya. thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
My commander is doing the same thing. I have the 4.7L. I have not tried much to fix it yet though. My jeep has 53,xxx miles.

Smoke

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I had an 06 Commander 4.7 doing the same things and that is why it is on the dealership lot for sale, too many staling problems for me to deal with, I purchased an 08 Commander 4.7 and hope that the problem does not rear its ugly head again. mine went away for a bit after a plug change, but it was starting again and they wanted to start replacing parts to see if it was the problem. I had to say sorry my pockets are not that deep and we are talking over $1000 worth of tries and I work for the dealership. My mechanic there told me that the pre 08 Chrysler products with the old type of wiring system (??) is problematic so on to the "new" type of wiring system. Love the Commaders but do not need the problems.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...My mechanic there told me that the pre 08 Chrysler products with the old type of wiring system (??) is problematic so on to the "new" type of wiring system...
Could you ask him to explain that to you better? I'd like to know what was wrong with the wiring system and what they changed. When did it start as well? 2006, when they adopted the federally mandated CAN networking?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's another post on this subject by "Smokeybrown". If this problem IS related
to the electrical system, couldn't the mechanics use certain meters to find what works and what doesn't. How could anyone let them replace parts til they stumble on the bad one! That's rediculous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I have an 06 4.7 and it's doing this. If I dont let it warm up....even in tx summer it will stall for a few seconds. Then I can restart. Plugs have been replaced. Overall tune up done. My next thought was fuel pump.. 135k miles. Thoughts?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This problem I was having 5 years ago ended up being the oxygen sensors...i don't remember the trouble code that was thrown, but narrowed it down to oxygen sensors. Paid a guy to replace all four, he installed Bosch when in fact he should have installed OEM. Read here about issues with after market sensors, so went to Chrysler and got oem... the problem went away.
That was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Measure the fuel pressure with a gauge before replacing the pump. NOT sure on the Commander's, but just about all Chrysler Vehicles of this century have the fuel pump inside the gas tank, a filter before and after the pump. The filters are designed to last the life of the vehicle. I would NOT assume stalling or hesitation while cold is the pump or fuel filters, again measure fuel pressure with a gauge and see if it is steady pressure at spec.

Again, the quality of gas has improved so much, that it is rare for a fuel filter to clog. Sure something could happen to contaminate your fuel, and clog one or both of the filters, it should show in the fuel pressure readings. You wouldn't be the first to go to all the trouble changing a fuel filter, that gets changed with a fuel pump change, to find no change at all.

On some Chrysler's, NOT sure on the Commander, the fuel filter after the fuel pump is mounted on the outside of the fuel pump. But it may still require lowering the fuel tank to get access to change the filter, and its often a combination filter/pressure regulator so its very expensive. Might be different on Commander's, check it out before attempting a filter change.

Ignition, Air Filters, EGR, even the PCV, and many other things could cause stalling of the engine. Even a bad Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS) could cause stalling while cold, the gauge needle on the dash isn't accurate enough to tell if the sensor is properly calibrated, and it can loose calibration with wear/corrosion.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A very common stalling related problem that is caused not by anything related to the engine but is caused by a transmission problem.
If the transmission was serviced and had the pickup screen filter replaced by an aftermarket filter this could be causing the stalling issue. Many after market pickup screens use a very hard plastic seal where the screen tube in inserted to the transmission valve body. This seal is critical for the proper operation of the transmission just off idle. If the seal leaks slightly especially when everything is cold the transmission will not slip and will cause an engine stall. After a couple of minutes and the transmission heats up the seal become more pliable and will seal properly and the problem goes away. This problem drove me crazy until I figured out what was going on. It felt like an engine related problem and I tried everything including plugs, throttle body sensors etc. that did not help. After reading about someone else having the problem and finding the seal issue I tried it and it solved the problem. The factory seal is much ore pliable and seals properly when cold.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
A very common stalling related problem that is caused not by anything related to the engine but is caused by a transmission problem.
If the transmission was serviced and had the pickup screen filter replaced by an aftermarket filter this could be causing the stalling issue. Many after market pickup screens use a very hard plastic seal where the screen tube in inserted to the transmission valve body. This seal is critical for the proper operation of the transmission just off idle. If the seal leaks slightly especially when everything is cold the transmission will not slip and will cause an engine stall. After a couple of minutes and the transmission heats up the seal become more pliable and will seal properly and the problem goes away. This problem drove me crazy until I figured out what was going on. It felt like an engine related problem and I tried everything including plugs, throttle body sensors etc. that did not help. After reading about someone else having the problem and finding the seal issue I tried it and it solved the problem. The factory seal is much ore pliable and seals properly when cold.

Dan
That's good info, Thanks Dan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts