Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went looking for a CAI for my Jeep and the guy at the auto parts said I would get almost the same performance just changing out the filter to a K & N filter. It sounds like it makes sense. Is this true and has anyone else tried this? After all I would much rather spend the 50 bucks on a filter and not the 300 bucks for the CAI.

·
Registered
564 Posts
There are some people in here that are happy with the drop in filter, I’m sure it make a difference, but I don’t think that is going to be the same as a CAI, I’m not sure on what engine is in your XK, but in my case, I have the 4.7 and the K&N does remove a lot of unnecessary turns on the intake the original box and intake have so much restriction that the air flow is way better on a CAI, also the materials on a CAI can repel heat, keeping the air cooler as it enter the engine, I would say go with the CAI if it fits your budget at the time…

·
2,248 Posts
I also have the 4.7 and I know that I tossed a big pile of black plastic parts and replaced them with a tube with a single curve. It seems to me that from an airflow standpoint there in now a much smoother and less restricted path to the intake. I know that the sound is much healthier. Maybe it is almost as good to just replace the filter, but I doubt it.

I also just noticed that you are from Phoenix. We have a group that is going on a trail ride up to Sedona on the 28th and over to a49erfans for BBQ after. Check with John (a49er****) for details or check the thread on the Arizona Club

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3643&highlight=arizona+commanders

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
YB Normyl said:
A friend of mine on an Intrepid website did a comparison on a dyno between a complete CAI system and a K&N drop-in with the factory tube swapped out between the box and throttle body. The difference was between 1-2 hp in favor of the CAI.

:confused: :confused: "If" that is the case, 1 or 2 HPs for $280 may not be that good of a deal, and I'm not saying that what you said is not right, but I have a very hard time beleaving it, I'm not sure how restricted the stock intake on a Intrepid is, but at least on the 4.7 XK, the diference on the intake is big, may be diferent in the XKs case...:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
ROMEO said:
:confused: :confused: "If" that is the case, 1 or 2 HPs for $280 may not be that good of a deal, and I'm not saying that what you said is not right, but I have a very hard time beleaving it, I'm not sure how restricted the stock intake on a Intrepid is, but at least on the 4.7 XK, the diference on the intake is big, may be diferent in the XKs case...:confused: :confused:
Don't forget, the only thing left stock with the K&N drop-in was the box itself. The tube running to the throttle body would be the same as the tube in the CAI. The part with the most restriction is between the box and the TB. In most cases the factory box is more of a cold air box than just having an open cone filter.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
HueyPilotVN said:
I also have the 4.7 and I know that I tossed a big pile of black plastic parts and replaced them with a tube with a single curve. It seems to me that from an airflow standpoint there in now a much smoother and less restricted path to the intake. I know that the sound is much healthier. Maybe it is almost as good to just replace the filter, but I doubt it.

I also just noticed that you are from Phoenix. We have a group that is going on a trail ride up to Sedona on the 28th and over to a49erfans for BBQ after. Check with John (a49er****) for details or check the thread on the Arizona Club

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3643&highlight=arizona+commanders
acting for jeep5253 ;) and putting up your pic

as for the thread issue, I have no experience with K&N filter and CAI.

·
2,248 Posts
Ahmed,

Thank you Sir for posting the picture like Jeep5253 does. One of these days I do have to practice doing that myself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had something similar to the CAI on my Wrangler and I had a bad experience with it. I was off roading and had to drive through a deep puddle, about 3 feet deep but only around 8 feet long. I was doing about 8-10 MPH when I hit the water and I guess the spalsh was sucked in by the external filter and shut me down. I had to get a friend to tow me back down the trail. I feel that if I had the factory box on, I would not have sucked in any water and I would have been fine. I took off the external filter set up the following day and replaced the factory box with without the snorkel and never had that problem again. Just sharing my expierence with everyone.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
ROMEO said:
If you're comparing the dollar to HP gain of either a drop-in filter or an entire cold air set-up, neither of them are exactly cost effective. A few more HP will not even be noticeable to the driver, unlike the money missing from his wallet. The only time I could see someone investing the money toward the air induction system is if he wanted to modify the vehicle to make a lot more HP. Then it would be more important to get a greater flow of air into the engine (by removing restriction) to allow for even more HP as additional mods are added. But to simply swap out a filter or install a CAI on an otherwise stock engine isn't worth the expense, IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Julioengineer said:
I went looking for a CAI for my Jeep and the guy at the auto parts said I would get almost the same performance just changing out the filter to a K & N filter. It sounds like it makes sense. Is this true and has anyone else tried this? After all I would much rather spend the 50 bucks on a filter and not the 300 bucks for the CAI.
I have the CAI and think the amout of plastic removed as at least 20 pounds.

Join us on the 28th for an Arizona Trail ride!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't put a CAI on the Jeep yet. I think I'll just be going with a drop in. I had a CAI on my Silverado and it really didn't make a difference until I had the PCM tuned for it. The CAI looks good gets rid of alot of unnessesary plastic. Deffinitly cleans up the Engine bay. For 300 bucks for 9.7 hp (claimed by K&N) I can't see. Most guys I know drag racing trucks make a CAI using PVC from Home Depot for 1/3 the price. Sure it takes some time to do, but take the extra 200 bucks and find a tuner (custom) for the biggest bang for your buck.

I don't know if there is a tuner for the Commander yet comparable to HP tuners or LS1 Edit. I'm sure that they are out there.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
TR4Runner said:
If you're comparing the dollar to HP gain of either a drop-in filter or an entire cold air set-up, neither of them are exactly cost effective. A few more HP will not even be noticeable to the driver, unlike the money missing from his wallet. The only time I could see someone investing the money toward the air induction system is if he wanted to modify the vehicle to make a lot more HP. Then it would be more important to get a greater flow of air into the engine (by removing restriction) to allow for even more HP as additional mods are added. But to simply swap out a filter or install a CAI on an otherwise stock engine isn't worth the expense, IMO.
Couldn't agree more

·
Registered
164 Posts
you could translate it like this...
assume you get .5 mpg more with CAI than a drop-in.
After 1 tank of gas (for me), that would be an additional 8-10 miles per tank.
Over 18-20 tanks of gas, that is a free tank of gas. at current gas prices, it would pay for itself in about 80 tanks of gas, which is about 17,000-20,000 miles.
Are you going to keep a vehicle that gets 12 mpg for another year or two at 4.50/gal?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
A cold air intake has to have some sort of box in order to keep the cold intake air separate from the hot engine compartment air.

If you change out the ribbed air pipe from the box to the throttlebody to one the same as the CAI has, you've got your flow restriction gone.
So now you're down to whether a drop-in air filter has more or less surface area to let air past it. Assuming a drop-in can let in more than the engine can inhale the problem with the stock box is the size of the inlet opening which can be fixed with a bigger hole put in and a tube or something directing the outside air to it.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
A CAI kit is intended to make more HP. Assuming greater airflow into the engine, wouldn't it make sense that would also cause more fuel to be burned to keep the air/fuel ratio proper? And make more HP? If this is true, I doubt there would be any appreciable gain in fuel economy and I'd actually expect a loss.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
TR4Runner said:
A CAI kit is intended to make more HP. Assuming greater airflow into the engine, wouldn't it make sense that would also cause more fuel to be burned to keep the air/fuel ratio proper? And make more HP? If this is true, I doubt there would be any appreciable gain in fuel economy and I'd actually expect a loss.
True to a point. A supercharger can give you better gas mileage but who adds one for better mileage? As soon as you get a taste of the extra power you use it, but if you can drive normal, like the CAI it can improve mpg.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Right, but therein lies the problem... people who buy CAI (or superchargers for that matter) are more likely to push the pedal down harder, not lighter;) And of course that leads to a loss of fuel economy!

By the way, I've never heard of a supercharger helping fuel economy. Since superchargers are belt driven, they always require "stealing" power from the engine to turn them. On the other hand, a turbocharger is driven off of "free" exhaust gases and is obviously not belt driven, so that's why they became so popular on smaller engines....they can use exhaust gas pressure to make a small engine perform with big engine power and allow higher fuel economy as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts