Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hemi commander with the hydraulic fan. A few years back, I got MOPAR HYDRAULIC FLUID for 20 bucks a pop. Now came a condenser/trans cooler replacement, which requires taking the fan off, and losing fluid.

When I go to the dealer, he told me the fluid waa unavalible anywhere and ATF+4 has superseeded it. He seemed kinda uninterested in his job and didnt care, so I called other dealers, and found similar info. Only one dealer, 240 miles away had a few quarts in stock...

1. Is the fluid avalible at your local dealer?
2. How can a newer fluid be "superseeded" to an older fluid ?

3. Is there a TSB or something that claims this?

4. If I use ATF+4 , whats the best way to drain the whole system so they dont mix, or is that not a big deal?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,008 Posts
Here is where I bought mine https://amazon.com/gp/product/B007NNVV3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I have a hemi commander with the hydraulic fan. A few years back, I got MOPAR HYDRAULIC FLUID for 20 bucks a pop. Now came a condenser/trans cooler replacement, which requires taking the fan off, and losing fluid.

When I go to the dealer, he told me the fluid waa unavalible anywhere and ATF+4 has superseeded it. He seemed kinda uninterested in his job and didnt care, so I called other dealers, and found similar info. Only one dealer, 240 miles away had a few quarts in stock...

1. Is the fluid avalible at your local dealer?
2. How can a newer fluid be "superseeded" to an older fluid ?

3. Is there a TSB or something that claims this?

4. If I use ATF+4 , whats the best way to drain the whole system so they dont mix, or is that not a big deal?

Thanks
@bryankodiak ;

You've been around long enough; Read the 1st post of the New Member Required Reading thread below & complete your user profile signature as directed ASAP;

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was using ATF4 for power steering fluid but about three years ago switched to PENRAY #3832 Global Synthetic Power Steering Fluid for my Jeep Commander and my other MOPAR vehicles It says it meets Chrysler MS-10838, as well as many other Chrysler standards (and so works for my whole fleet). I have had no issues and it is green not red like ATF4 so easier to tell what is leaking.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Lucas hydraulic fluid works just fine. A gallon will be enough left over for when you have to replace your radiator in the future.

Use a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid and refill. Do this a few times to get most of the old fluid out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts