Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear defroster looked kind of. . .well. . . "burned", for lack of a better description. I bought it this summer, and I haven't used the rear defroster yet, so I know it was like that when I bought it. Do yours look like that too? Is that something I should have the dealer look at. No rear defroster on any other car I've had has even looked like that. Thanks for the help, and I hope my picture uploaded okay.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
My rear defroster looked kind of. . .well. . . "burned", for lack of a better description. I bought it this summer, and I haven't used the rear defroster yet, so I know it was like that when I bought it. Do yours look like that too? Is that something I should have the dealer look at. No rear defroster on any other car I've had has even looked like that. Thanks for the help, and I hope my picture uploaded okay.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
You know... I have never used mine, either. And I just so happened to notice the same exact coloring on mine the other day. I haven't tried using it or anything since, but still. Kinda crazy that you post this up when I just noticed mine being the same way. Ha.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it stays the way it is, and the defroster works, then I don't mind. But I'm worried about it getting worse. I can just imagine driving down the road on a snowy day, and all of the sudden, my rear defroster bursts into flames.

But then again, even if it works, it's definitely not normal. Since I'm still under the factory warranty, I'm pretty sure I'll have the dealership take a look at it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just called the dealer. Obviously the service guy won't diagnose it over the phone, but he made it sound like it wasn't normal (duh). He wants me to come in to have them look at it. The problem is, I have no idea when I'll have time to do that with school and work. Hopefully within the next few weeks, as it will start snowing soon.

I'm still under factory warranty, so hopefully they'll fix it. I wonder if they can fix it without replacing the whole rear window. Does the defroster just peel off?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It sure does look like it can just "peel off". I may shoot on over to my dealer in the meantime. But if you get there before I do, let me know!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
It sure does look like it can just "peel off". I may shoot on over to my dealer in the meantime. But if you get there before I do, let me know!
Does NOT peel off so resist the urge to pick at it.

It is a conductive paint that has high resistance so it warms as current runs through it.

Although I'm not surprised to see a hot spot where all the current leads from at the connector, I would recommend others inspect theirs to see if this is common or not.

It really is nothing more than a controlled short circuit, not unlike the burners on a electric stove, or the heat bands on a toaster.
The fuse would fail long before any fire concern.

In the middle of this response, I checked mine and see the same thing, but,
I believe it is the sealer brushed over the solder joint to prevent corrosion.
If you look at it with good light and a magnafiying lens, you can see the edges of the sealer.

I'd say, no worries,
Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, mine's not a "hot spot" though. It's brown all the way around the window. I'm sure the dealership will say not to worry about it, because I'm sure they won't want to be troubled to replace the window.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
Yeah, mine's not a "hot spot" though. It's brown all the way around the window. I'm sure the dealership will say not to worry about it, because I'm sure they won't want to be troubled to replace the window.
When you go to the dealer ask to look at some other vehicles to see if they look like yours. I looked at mine and it looks like yours does in your picture. It works fine and I am not concerned about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had issues with mine as well. Some of my lines looked like that. Several stopped working. There is a post with the info from my dealings. You should find it by doing a search under rear defroster, or my user name.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
I had issues with mine as well. Some of my lines looked like that. Several stopped working. There is a post with the info from my dealings. You should find it by doing a search under rear defroster, or my user name.
west_pa said:
I have an 06 Commander Limited, and an 07 Commander Sport. I took the 06 in to the shop. The rear window defroster wasn't working on the bottom half of the window. It didn't look like it got scratched off. It looked more like the lines had peeled / faded away. They ordered in a "repair kit". I took it back and had it fixed. All it was, was one of those bottles of metalic paint that you can buy at JC Whitney. The mechanic spent 2 hours repainting sections of defroster lines on the back window. It looks like a 5 year old kid was back there with a paint by numbers. The lines are too fat. They are crooked, and the "paint" is smeared on the glass. Has anyone else had this problem? This seems like a rediculous fix for a vehicle that cost this much, and is still under warranty.
west_pa, your problem is different from what stromboy84 is descibing. His has not "peeled or faded away."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts