1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you're that skeptical, DO NOT buy one. You'll be the looser!

Go buy a _______________ (you fill in the blank) and you'll get the same thing. No one ever gets a perfect vehicle off the line; 1st year or not.--Lexus & MB included!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Cars turning off... is caused by somebody bumping the ignition switch. It is not going to happen to everyone, depending on your build and how far you sit away from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my Commander 4x4 at the end of December '05 and other than having one paint blemish (that Jeep fixed free), I have had no issues with it. I love it and drive it more than my 528i!!

I am almost at my first 6,000 mile service and other than an oil change, I am having a couple of things checked

- Check tuning as gas mileage is lower than expected (but hey, I bought an SUV).
- Sirius radio connections (loses signal a bit more than I think it should).
- Headlight adjustment (needs lowering about 2 inches).

Ron
SoFla

·
Registered
204 Posts
Voodoo^..^aster said:
I bought my Commander 4x4 at the end of December '05 and other than having one paint blemish (that Jeep fixed free), I have had no issues with it. I love it and drive it more than my 528i!!

I am almost at my first 6,000 mile service and other than an oil change, I am having a couple of things checked

- Check tuning as gas mileage is lower than expected (but hey, I bought an SUV).
- Sirius radio connections (loses signal a bit more than I think it should).
- Headlight adjustment (needs lowering about 2 inches).

Ron
SoFla
We have not seen a whole lot of problems so far, as far as 2 of the ones you mentioned.

- Every dealership I have ever worked at would get a rash of MPG complaints every time the price of gas went up, and no car line Ive ever worked for would hit the EPA sticker numbers in real world driving.
- Check your rear roof rack crossrail, it should be in line with the second to last set of arrows, not the last ones. Ive seen quite a few mounted the wrong way and they sit right over the sat antenna when they are and can interfere with reception.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
sgilbert said:
If you're that skeptical, DO NOT buy one. You'll be the looser!

Go buy a _______________ (you fill in the blank) and you'll get the same thing. No one ever gets a perfect vehicle off the line; 1st year or not.--Lexus & MB included!
Not really. MB is not known for reliability. In fact, they are towards the bottom of the heap in terms of reliability. Lexus, on the other hand, is at the top in terms of reliability, so you have MUCH better odds of owning a problem-free vehicle when you buy a Lexus.

All vehicles are not created equal.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
jeepster said:
I love the new Commander and am thinking about purchasing one.

But after reading this forum and also jeepforum.com, I am concerned that the 06 Commander was not properly tested by Chrysler before release.

Engines stalling, cars turning off...what the hell!!???

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253493

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438

Jeep needs to get its **** together.

I was in the same situation as you.... I really liked both the Commander and the 4Runner. They are so similar in so many ways. The fact that the 4Runner has such an excellent reliability record (and the Commander doesn't have one because it is too new) helped push me toward the 4Runner. I couldn't be any happier with my decision and my 4Runner has been 100% perfect so far.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The 4runner MAY be a very reliable vehicle, but it just doesn't LOOK like a mean, off-road machine. The 4runner was the only other vehicle I seriously considered and on my score card, it came in a distant second.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing to consider is that most of the posts on these type of forums are to solve problems, which makes the problems seem much more common than they really are. If you think about it, if an owner is not having any problems they don't have much reason to spend the time to post on these boards and the problem-free rigs are under represented. On the other hand, an owner looking for a solution is going to invest the time to seek out some answers here and it skews the numbers into looking like the vehicles are more problem prone. I think you'll find the same skewed numbers on any other brand forums as well (and the "these cars sure seem to have a lot of problems" posts).

We've only had our Commander for a short time now, but so far so good - no problems whatsoever. We've also had another DaimlerChrysler product for the past 2 years and it has been flawless as well.

If you like the Commander, don't let all these posts scare you away. If anything, you've found a great resource and community here to help with yours, if you choose to buy one. And heck, you'll still get a 3 year warranty where any problems will be taken care of for you. Good luck in your decision...

Brandon

·
Registered
476 Posts
Brandon,

Very well said. Although I have not been as fortunate with my Commander - overall I love this Jeep!! Other than the transmission issue the rest, thus far, have been minor aggravations... with the most aggravating part being that the dealership I bought from is about 1.25 hours away.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I totally agree with you Brandon...people seek out forum users when they need help more so then just discussing their vehicle. My Commander has been great so far and I do highly recommend it to anyone. Also, I want to add I have owned MANY Daimler Chrysler products and have had no problems with any of them (nothing serious anyway)..if any occur then you will see me on here also asking for help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know about all this discussion about Jeep and Chrysler being the anit-Christ because a few drivers are KNOCKING THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION. Yeah, maybe they didn't test the vehicle for all drivers. Maybe they just tested it for qualified drivers. Come on people. Take some responsibility for your own actions. If you don't, then a Darwin Award for you. Bye for now, I'm going to eat up some dirt roads in my big black bad as* V8 4.7 gas guzzling Commander. I'll be the one DRIVING and not whining by the side of the road because my big government didn't wipe my nose for me and tell me it was time for my nap.

(Should I have gotten the navigation system? Yeah, maybe.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
tviano said:
I don't know about all this discussion about Jeep and Chrysler being the anit-Christ because a few drivers are KNOCKING THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION.
Hey, I'm the first one that reported this problem and it only happened once 1800 miles ago. When it happened, the key was in the on position and I had been driving for at least 5 miles. I've been driving for over 50 years now and nothing like this has ever happened to me.

While I can't prove it, I believe my knee "bumped" the big key ball I had attached the Jeep ignition key which I think then applied enough pressure to the ignition key to switch to the off position with the torquing motion.

It was a very unexpected surprise to see the speedometer and tach at zero while doing over 60 MPH. As I stated earlier, I just reached down and turned the ignition key to start and I was back in business. The main reason I posted the incident here was so that no one else would be surprised if they found themselves in the same position.

Since that incident, I only drive the Jeep with a key ring that contains a few keys instead of my key "ball" that contains 15 keys or so.

I have had NO other complaints about my Commander and like the vehicle a lot.

So, perhaps you should lighten up and not blabber about "taking some responsibility for your own actions" if you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you should also eat some crow along with the dirt you plan to groove with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We've had our Commander Limited with Hemi since February and have put over 9,000 miles on it and it has been rock solid reliable. The only problem we've had is the satellite radio reception cutting out from time to time--the dealer recently replaced the satellite radio unit--and the Nav disc sucks--a LOT of recently built roads don't appear on Nav. Oh, and recently turning the steering wheel sharply while moving really slow, like in a parking space, can sometimes be accompanied by some unusual shuddering. But that's it.

This Commander replaced a Mercedes ML 320 that we bought new in 2000. That was a nice tight truck, decently finished inside (better than the 1998-99 MLs), but throughout the six years / 105K miles we owned it, it was constantly requiring repeated trips to the dealer to fix things--leaking pwer steering hoses, broken window switches, a sunroof that ate it's deflector and froze shut, constant squeaks from the cowl area, weatherstripping that wouldn't stay attached to the drivers door--a really shoddy product.

Frankly after the ML 320 we had reservations about buying the Jeep since it too is a Daimler Chrysler product, but it has been great.

·
Registered
170 Posts
LOL!! dont buy it if youre that worried. Buying first year run vehicles is always a little sketchy but hey, its up to you. 8500 miles on my Commander...so far, so good. BUT I bought the super duper, extra good, premium extended warranty.....just in case. LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts