41 - 60 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
to simply put it...HELL NO it's not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can say that for my immediate family, it is two big NO's.

My mom (deertrailacres) loves her Commander, and my dad never drives the thing since he has some weird obsession with his PT cruiser.

In our house, my Commander is my daily driver, and I put it to use on the trails too. However, my partner - refuses to drive it as it is "to expensive to maintain" and will take the Prius over the XK any day.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
There must be a lot of Commanders in your area! :)
I was thinking the same thing when I read his post. I think he might have been trying to say that most Commanders in his area are driven by young people, not that most young people in his area drive Commanders.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
In our house, my Commander is my daily driver, and I put it to use on the trails too. However, my partner - refuses to drive it as it is "to expensive to maintain" and will take the Prius over the XK any day.
So the girl drives the Commander and the guy drives a Prius? Hmmm...most people would have guessed just the opposite. Of course this is assuming that your partner is a male.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
172 Posts
So the girl drives the Commander and the guy drives a Prius? Hmmm...most people would have guessed just the opposite. Of course this is assuming that your partner is a male.:eek:rangehat:

Yes, you are correct for both. He thinks that the XK is too big, burns too much gas, and has too much maintenance. Whereas the Prius is high -tech, no maintenance, and cheap on fuel.

I hate the thing, never owned anything other than a truck or Jeep. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
i would have to say i drive mine as a daily driver and love it. while my wife totes the kids around in our 06 megacab ( which is lifted with the diesel) . don't get me wrong i love driving our truck to, not to mention it get's better mileage. but my commander is fun to drive and just as comfortable. she drive's it when i get home from work though and on the weekends. so is it a mom's ride? it's hard to say. it's dad's toy though and that's all i can say for certain.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Get one. Put a 2"+ lift on it, some bigger tires and then let people decide for themselves....

·
Registered
488 Posts
only when my wife drives it is it a Mom mobile.

but the reason I bought it over the Grand Cherry was the 7 seats for the family.

yes I could have bought a Peugeot 7 seater or even a Mercedes 7 seater but why would i do that when i can have a Jeep and a seven seater in one.

plus if I had the peugeot it would mean I bought a french thing and I hate the cheese eating surrender monkeys.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought mine when I was 25 and had just a girlfriend. The main reasons i bought was that I wanted a brand new 4x4 SUV with a V8. I wanted to stay less than $30k and Jeep also had 6 year 0% financing. I looked at Nissan and Toyota and couldn't find the same offering/deal.

On a side note. When i pass base model Commanders, I sometimes see men driving them. However, every limited model I pass has a lady driving it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
just bought on 06 limited hemi about 6 months ago and when my wife first saw it on the lot she said no way, however when she got in it and actually drove it for the first time she changed her tune real quick. now i can't seem to get her out of it and i'm lucky if i get to drive MY commander one day a week. usually just spend that day getting it dirty in the nearest muddy field and then washing all the dirt off of it. this beign the first 4x4 i've ever owned i don't really have anything to compare it to but i was really surprised by the ruggedness of the vehicle when off road but the really comfortable driving experience when on road. going to spend about 8 hours in it when we go on vacation next month with my wife,daughter, and mother-in-law and for the first time ever i'm actually looking forward to driving for that long. except the part where i have to put in gas, but i didn't buy it for the gas mileage!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
What you have isn't what matters, its what you do with it!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nada chance, mine looks pretty manly, youd have to pry my fathers limited out of his cold dead hands, and there is no room for kids in the back of mine. Although I will admit, shes parking lot rated only. (if i got mud on my truck i would loose my mental stability)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I voted no, but maybe the Commander does have a little ‘’mom mobile’ look to it.

Case in point… this last Sunday. I headed for the sand dunes to see how she acts in the soft stuff. I drive out to a nice dune, and there’s 5 dirt bikers sitting there. They’re looking at me like there’s a space alien sitting on the roof. I could read their minds: ‘’What is that guy doing out here in that grandma grocery getter?!? He’ll get stuck’’

I headed up the 25 degree steep dune and continued onwards. Well, not totally. I stopped on top and took a couple of photos, then moved on. I’m sure the bikers are still wondering how it did that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
when I first saw them, I thought they were right up there with the Honda element or Pontiac aztek for ugly...then I saw the Grand Cherokee - beat with the ugly stick!. I think it is a little of both. There is not much out there for 7 passneger except for minivans. I use mine for work and my family, haven't had it long enough to get it off road but I do think I have every bit as much room as a minivan with a lot more luxury and bragging rights...it is a real Jeep after all.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I vote NO! I think commander is very masculine looking. People that calls it mom mobile are those that are not sure of their masculinity, and have some insecurity issues (no offense). I think it doesn't matter whatever you drive, it all depends on how you feel inside.

41 - 60 of 206 Posts