Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If our beloved XK does get the axe, will you feel special and look at it as a classic or will you feel awkward for driving a discontinued vehicle?

I'll feel very special because the rationality behind the potential discontinuation is not because the XK is a bad vehicle....but because there are not as many people as awesome/smart as us to buy one!!!! :5:

·
Registered
63 Posts
SUVs are a dying breed in general, and I think the Commander is just too niche to survive. One day, it will be looked upon as a dinosaur to just about everyone but enthusiasts. Some people look at V8 SUVs that way already.

I'm not too concerned about what other people think. The Commander had absolutely everything we wanted in a vehicle, so we bought it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Personally I can't wait until they stop making the Commander. The reason being is ill be one of the few people who get to drive/own such an amazing vehicle.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Classic.............

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think the XK was a revolutionary vehicle for jeep that came at a bad time. The XK, compass, and patriot will most likely live on as classic vehicles because they are the first NEW design variation from jeep. Wrangler has a long lived history and everyone knows where they came from. The Liberty is more or less a continuation of the cherokee in the midsize 4 door range which started out as the wagoneer. The grand cherokee has a long lived history back to the days of the Grand wagoneer. In this day the XK can really be considered an innovative design.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I don't think it could really go down as a classic. It hasn't been around long enough and hasn't garnered a very large following. Wagoneers, Cherokees and CJs are classics.
I have to disagree. There are a lot of active memebers on this site and a lot of new members as well. I don't know of any way to tell exactly how many active members there are on the forum but i'm sure its more than most would think. There are lots of commander owners that don't know it from every other SUV but all of the people who are members here obviously take a special interest in their vehicle and that is what makes it a classic.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I'm going with Classic because it will never be an outcast!

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
Main Entry: clas·sic
Pronunciation: \ˈkla-sik\
Function: adjective
Etymology: French or Latin; French classique, from Latin classicus of the highest class of Roman citizens, of the first rank, from classis
Date: circa 1604

1 a: serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value <classic literary works> b: traditional , enduring <classic designs> c: characterized by simple tailored lines in fashion year after year <a classic suit>

2: of or relating to the ancient Greeks and Romans or their culture : classical

3 a: historically memorable <a classic battle> b: noted because of special literary or historical associations <Paris is the classic refuge of expatriates>

4 a: authentic , authoritative b: typical <a classic example of chicanery> <a classic error>

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Commander does have the classic lines of the beloved Cherokee, however technically speaking, it takes 20 years to become a classic and 25 to be an antique.

It would be a shame if they stop making the Commander, because there is no SUV that does everything as well as this truck. But unfortunately in these times, car companies can't afford to keep slow selling lines and they have to listen to what the public wants.

If they stop making the Commander, I will feel special and intend to keep this great Jeep a long time.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
It is irrelevant to me whether they stop making the Commander now, or even if mine was the last off the line - I bought it because it did what I needed/wanted it to do better than anything else out there. It will continue to perform that function until one of us kicks the bucket.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm gonna stick with Classic because in my mind it will never be an outcast. It's virtually impossible for the XK to be an Outcast. Look at the Edsel, that ugly ass car from the 50's, that was so short lived in production. People still say it was ugly as hell and in the same breathe it's a Classic... others say it is a classic and the design was beautiful and well ahead of it's time.... I don't agree with the later, but if that car can do it... the Commander will definitely be a Classic that car enthusiasts will hold high in the upcoming years- even if it doesn't get discontinued and they continue to make them for the next 50 years.

1958 EDSEL

KICK ASS JEEP!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i'm going with classic as well, but i think it will only be considered a classic within the jeep family.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmmm, I think it will be a valued Jeep for a long time, but really for the folks who appreciate these things.

What I like - ridiculous motor, modern electronics that work - replaced a Discovery... - and hopefully reliable for years to come.

It will go more places than I will take it, and BTW, recently took if for a 2K run to FL and back over Thanksgiving, with 2 boxers, 2 small kids and the wife, no issues. Just barely fit with everything inside. Averaged 16.7 averaging @80, with traffic of course.

Really like it over every other competitor, for our use. Most truck in the tightest package on the market.

My goal is to take it to 200K.

CG
2007 Overland 31K

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm gonna stick with Classic because in my mind it will never be an outcast. It's virtually impossible for the XK to be an Outcast. Look at the Edsel, that ugly ass car from the 50's, that was so short lived in production. People still say it was ugly as hell and in the same breathe it's a Classic... others say it is a classic and the design was beautiful and well ahead of it's time.... I don't agree with the later, but if that car can do it... the Commander will definitely be a Classic that car enthusiasts will hold high in the upcoming years- even if it doesn't get discontinued and they continue to make them for the next 50 years.

1958 EDSEL

KICK ASS JEEP!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

One of the reason that the Edsel didn't make it was because it was ahead of it's time...and people weren't ready for that then.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I will go with classic...when people in the mainstream figure out what this vehicle has to offer, it will be sought after. Once everyone gets sick of their econoboxes and french fry grease powered cars, primal instinct will drive them to one of the most capable SUV's ever produced! What is even better WE ALL HAVE ONE!!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Seeing as how we already have a discontinued car in the garage, 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT, we feel pretty special having it.

My wife drives it and she told me that as much as she likes the new Ford Flex, she would have a big problem giving up the Magnum.

I feel the same way about the Commander. I simply cannot see ever getting rid of it. As long as it runs, I think I will have it. If I ever do need to replace it, it will be with another Jeep product.

Classic all the way.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I don't know if it will ever really be considered a classic, but it is pretty cool to know that a "newer" body style will never exist. The Commander will become one of those SUVs that is cool to see in the future, much in the same way when you see an old Land Cruiser or an old International Scout. But that's AFTER they become rarely seen on the roads!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I see a lot of "If's" the Commander being discontinued. But I believe that axe has already been dropped.

I used to have a Fiero. Classic or Outcast? .....Stupid is what I call it now.

I think the Commander has classic lines and engineering of oldstyle jeep. But not old enough in itself to be considered a classic.

They told us on the news that we wont know we're in a recession until after it is past. So we cant know if theCommander is a classic until it long past manufacturing.

The old Cherolee is still manufactured in China. Could that happen to the Commander?

Could this be considered a FSJ? ( Full Size Jeep) We can become oldtimers who still hang on to a vehicle of the past and become a specialized club.

Will the owners of our forum still support us? Is there enough interest and membership to continue a forum like this if the vehicle is no longer manufactured? Dont have the sites listed that the admin's own...they used to, but none of them as I recall were discontinued vehicles.

We are doomed. Failure.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts