Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I know there are several threads regarding the various transmission problems, but has anyone received satisfactory resolution to these ambiguous problems?

I, like so many others, have an Commander, V8-Hemi. I have had it for 4 years, bought it with 7500 miles on it, had zero problems with it until this spring. Upon returning home from a short road trip, when exiting the highway, the car made a horrible-loud sound, a terrible burning smell followed, then the transmission would not shift out of first gear. Though the panel stated the transmission was in 1st, if I pressed the accelerator the engine only rev'ed, as if in neutral. After messing around for a few minutes, we were able to get it to shift into reverse, so my husband backed the car off the exit ramp into the closest gas station until we could get a tow truck there. We towed it home, my husband attempted to check everything he knew to check (he's pretty mechanically inclined.) No obvious mechanical problems, (no broken hoses, leaks, fluid levels were fine, temps were OK, etc.) He took it to the dealership, driving in 1st gear the entire 14 mile drive, after their inspection, they stated there was metal "chunks" not shavings but "chunks" in the fluid and said we had to replace the transmission. That was done. 600 miles after replacing it, we have a repeat scenario. After driving on the highway for approximately 1 1/2 hours, when downshifting during deceleration, the car sounded like the entire bottom fell out, the whole car shook- I thought we fell in a sink-hole. Then the car would not shift out of first gear, only rev'd the engine. Eventually, again, we were able to get it to shift into reverse, then park. Now, every time we drive the transmission seems to slip out of gear, get stuck in neutral-but says it's in first.
Is this a programming issue/ "computer-learning" or mechanical? Beyond frustrated at this point.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to replace mine last summer at 117,000 miles. From everything I've read it is pretty common for Jeep transmissions to fail around 120,000 miles.
And unfortunately they are Mercedez Transmissions and are not cheap.

I love my Jeep but they are not made to drive forever like Toyotas.

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts
I had to replace mine last summer at 117,000 miles. From everything I've read it is pretty common for Jeep transmissions to fail around 120,000 miles.

Only the 3.7 has a Mercedes transmission.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Take it back to the dealer that put the new trans in. There has to be a guarantee, and give them another chance to make it right...... and question why you're having the same exact problems now as you did when you brought it in, to have the transmission replaced.. haven't heard of too many mechanical breakdowns, most of the issues appear to be electrical.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

Ouch, your not having trouble with the NAG1 tranny are you? I was under the impression that it was pretty solid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts