Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,
In this video, is there something wrong with the wheel on the top left?
It keeps rotating and stopping as you can see in the video.
What's the problem?
Also whats with the whistling sounds?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
Hello,
In this video, is there something wrong with the wheel on the top left?
It keeps rotating and stopping as you can see in the video.
What's the problem?
Also whats with the whistling sounds?

https://youtu.be/ugd_NGHcpRI

Thanks in advance!
I don't know what component that pulley on the top left is for - but yes something is definitely wrong with it.

Judging from the whistling/whining sound we're hearing, I'm guessing that the bearings in the pulley of whatever component that is, are shot.

So whatever component that pulley is for - that component will likely need to be replaced.

I had a 95 Grand Cherokee sport that had a pulley go bad (and the whining was even worse then what you're hearing in that video) and it turned out to be the bearings in the pulley for the water pump - needless to say the water pump had to be replaced. I think I wound up replacing the damn serpentine belt too if I remember correctly.

But like I said, I'm not sure what component that bad pulley is on - but whatever it is, it's sounds like it's near the end of it's lifespan.

Looking at it again - it looks like that component has coolant lines running to it, so, that could be your AC compressor - but hey, like I said many times on this forum, I'm no mechanic.

I might be dead wrong.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
a/c compressor. How is your HVAC working? bad clutch or failed compressor is my guess.

Turn off a/c and defrost. It should stop spinning completely.

If the whistling is the belt slipping you'll definitely want to replace that.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
thats the A/c compressor clutch its supposed to engage and disengage when the a/c is on, so that is normal... as far as the noise well thats not normal at all, my suggestion would be to take off the belt and inspect each pulley to see which one is the culprit

·
Registered
208 Posts
Many AC compressors stop and start to control pressure as the electric clutch cycles on and off. This sounds to me that you have a bearing going out either in the idler pulley, belt tensioner pulley or alternator. The AC compressor could have an issue but it does not change the pitch of the sound that much as the compressor cycles on and off. This should be a fairly easy fix. Take a very long screwdriver and place it on the center of each pulley as the sound is being produced and place the handle of the screwdriver against your ear. Along with looking ridiculous you will be able to hear which bearing is making the noise.

Dan

·
Registered
371 Posts
It is absolutely normal for the clutch to engage and disengage. My 1999 ram does it with the heat on too. The speed with which it does is determined by load and the condition of the system. If the refrigerant is low, it will cycle more quickly. A bad relay can make it cycle too quickly as well. The noise definitely sounds like a bad bearing. Purchase a mechanics steth and you will be able to isolate it by carefully pointing it at pulley until you hear which one is grinding.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not going to comment on the AC compressor since that has been covered.

The whining sounds like the alternator going bad, the alternator is on the top right, next to the AC compressor.

Very easy to replace and about $180 after core return. I recommend removing it than taking it to a local auto parts store for match up and core exchange.

After watching the video again, still hard to diagnose from that, it might be a bad idler since the sound gets louder when you move the camera left. If you can get another video and move closer to the right by the alternator to locate the noise.

It also could be a bad clutch bearing in the compressor since I hear a change in tone when the compressor stops.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Tough to diagnose from that video. Based on the noise, something is wrong.

A/c compressors have a clutch and do cycle on and off, though in my experience they don't usually cycle on and off that quickly when everything is operating properly.

The first thing that I would do is track down the location of the noise. Mechanics stethoscope would work great. As stated previously you can use a screwdriver or something similar...to locate the source.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
It is absolutely normal for the A/C to cycle like that. It is more pronounced when you are in any of the modes where the A/C would cycle in a defrost mode or if it isstarting to fail. I just had to replace my alternator at 111K miles. It was failing in a high voltage mode and was extremely warm to the touch. Once replaced much quieter in the engine compartment. Regardless, track down the noise and look at the items others have mentioned. If your A/C is system is low than these vehicles have sensor and the A/C compressor will not cycle FYI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts