Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a intermittent clacking noise from my 06 XK dash. Based on info from various other threads, I suspect it is a bad actuator in the HVAC system. I pulled the dash and the radio trying to open it up and help isolate the noise but have not pinpointed it yet. I think the noise is coming from lower part of dash behind the key area. I know how to remove the panel below the radio if necessary. Opening up more of the dash area looks like a major pain so I do not want to do that if I do not need to. Assuming it is a bad actuator, is there an actuator located in the general area behind the key? If so, can I reach it by pulling the panel below the radio? If actuator is bad, can I feel some vibration from it with my hand while it is making noise?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found my problem. After taking a lot of dash apart, I found that I can access the underside of the driver side by simply pulling down on the panel beneath the steering wheel. It was a bad air door actuator located on side of HVAC just above the gas pedal. I found two actuators in that area but only one vibrated when making the noise. Held in by 2 screws (T20). Quick trip to local parts store to get a Dorman #604-006. Problem solved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts