Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here! Please forgive me if this is posted anywhere else. I looked but didn't find anything. I have decent knowledge of cars/trucks/suvs but am not a mechanic and can only do basic repairs myself (pretty impressive I think for a girl).

I got a flat tire and put the spare on and waited a month to get my tire repaired (procrastinator, I know) and when I went to change the tire out and put my spare back on wench won't work. You can turn it but the cable isn't going up or down. I looked up underneath and it looks like it may have gotten twisted somehow but my bigger concern is that you can keep turning either direction and it never stops which makes me think the cable may have actually broken.

Anyone repaired this yourself? Is it covered by warranty by chance? I have the most expensive warranty Chrysler offered for 100k but everyone knows they are a PITA to deal with. I found a new wench on ebay for 79 but am not sure I am up for replacing it myself.

Any advice would be helpful.

Sam
(short for Samantha)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If it has no weight on it(on tire) try pulling on it while some one turns the crank. Welcome to the forum, you can learn much from this site.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
That is what I would try first- counter clockwise to release/extend the cable while someone is giving it a tug. Not sure about replacement of the whole assembly- there are many members here with tons of XK knowledge- you will be getting some replies from them soon- welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Like everyone says... the cable has wrapped up around the small winch drum from lack of tension. It may take a second person below to unwrap the cable and/or keep tension on it, until it spools back out.

Same thing happens on big winches on the front bumper. You need to walk out with the cable, usually with it over your shoulder as the winch runs. Running the winch without doing that makes a tangled up mess. That's what you have in miniature, underneath.

Worst case scenario, the dealer will have to remove the tire winch and untangle the cable while it's out and apart.

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts
BTW Sam,

Might want to work on that title.......(wench?) uh, try wrench.

Sorry, couldn't leave it alone lol

Rob
winch =

wench =

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! And for pointing out my typo. I know how it's spelled but had a brain fart.

I did have my brother in law that night get under there and pull while I turned but it just didn't budge.

And of course I called the service department and the gentleman said he "didn't think" it would be covered but he would double check.

I am going to have my husband do the cranking and get under there myself to put the weight on it to see if I can get anything to happen. And that sounds really bad. lol

Thanks for the welcome! I've already learned so much from reading the forums like the fact that I can take my car in to fix the random high pitched hum that happens when I drive over 60. Love it!

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts
Thanks for the replies! And for pointing out my typo. I know how it's spelled but had a brain fart.

I did have my brother in law that night get under there and pull while I turned but it just didn't budge.

And of course I called the service department and the gentleman said he "didn't think" it would be covered but he would double check.

I am going to have my husband do the cranking and get under there myself to put the weight on it to see if I can get anything to happen. And that sounds really bad. lol

Thanks for the welcome! I've already learned so much from reading the forums like the fact that I can take my car in to fix the random high pitched hum that happens when I drive over 60. Love it!
If you have the Maximum Care Chrysler warranty then it should be covered -- don't take no for an answer.

"For drivers seeking the ultimate in peace of mind for your vehicle, look no further. Maximum Care goes above and beyond by providing virtually complete mechanical coverage for your vehicle. With coverage on 5000+ components, if it's mechanical, it's covered with Maximum Care."

·
Registered
809 Posts
...Plus it's not like the winch/wrench/wench would be a big budget-buster for the dealership to take care of. It'd be a poor move on their part to make a big deal out of it when they could get it in and out quick and earn another satisfied customer. When I worked in a shop I always preferred the repairs that didn't involve fluids running down the inside of my shirt.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I have found that when I ask my wife to change the spare, it is best not to call her a wench.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts