Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never experienced the commander shutting off while driving or when stopped at a light. My wife has been driving it for the past 2 weeks and she has managed to hit the key 3 times while at a light and shut it off. Once while I was in the passenger seat! :eek:

She does not drive it much so her key only has one thing on it a bottle opener. Somehow she manages to hit it just right and the key turns the jeep off. She does sit fairly close to the dash and I believe this is why she hits the key while I never have.

Oh well... I just wanted to share our experiences with the Commander shutting off.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I make sure the tab on the key is turned up. It has happened to me several times....turning the key over stopped it for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll give her the tip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did the same thing the other day for the first time, i was attempting to get my wallet out of my back pocket after driving about 90 miles in the Commander and I hit the ignition and shut off the jeep at about 75mph on the Sawmill parkway in NY (not the best highway to do that on). I popped it into Neutral and attempted to restart but it wouldn't restart immediately, took about 3 tries in Neutral to restart but I finally picked up where I left off and continued on my journey but it scared the crap out of me, 66K on the commander and never did that once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BUMPED KEY = engine shuts off!?!? Is this normal?

Friends just purchased 2006 Commander has shut off 2 times.. while reaching for the radio the key gets bumped. Everything goes off.

Restarts with a quick turn. Not sure if it was necessary to shift to neutral. Do'nt think so.

There's a post about bumped key with a knee but the conversation turned to runaway possessed Toyotas. I'd like to be able to tell my friend what needs to be done..

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Is the key being turned when bumped or just bumped in place?

I did the knee bump thing about 3 times when I first got the Commander but the key was actually being turned to off. If it is the knee bump turning the key thing, what I did was remove extra keys from my key ring and always insert it with the little tab up and leave my seat back a little more than I did at first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guess I'll call the dealer and see what a new ignition switch cost. That would involve new keying-- doors too.. $$$$
thanks for your feedback..
wish i had questioned earlier--they are on the road this weekend again for a 800 mile trip.

I'll text them to lighten the load hanging from the ignition, not sure what the tab is but they'll know. Seems that turning off the key when underway should involve a 2-3 second button push--I read somewhere here.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Merged threads, the first part might help you out. This is not common but it does happen more often then it should!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great feedback, thanx,,
Tried to purposely bump the key and get the shut-off but didnt happen..

Removed the other keys-- install a new switch sounds like the fix...

Thanks for the backup...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
For me, it was not a defective or failing switch, but it could be for others. Hasn't happened to me again after the initial couple of weeks of ownership, when I bumped it and turned the key by doing so.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
The only thing attached to my key is a dealer key ring. All my other keys are on a ring in my pocket. I bumped the key in my black XK a couple of times. Haven't done it in this one.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Haven't done this, but would probably scare the crap out of me.

·
Banned
277 Posts
I bumped mine with my knee (I'm 6' 6") while cruising at about 80 mph on the interstate, completely turned it off...luckily I was approaching an exit so I coasted up the off-ramp, pulled over, and fired it back up. I wasn't sure if I could put it in neutral and start it while still coasting on the road...looks like it worked for others. Too bad I didn't see this thread before it happened. haha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts