Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm sick of having a slow Commander. And I haven't really heard much for people making these into drag cars. I have 1 performance vehicle in the making already, might as well make it 2.
I plan on doing CAI, and I want to get a tune on it. Unfortunately the only person I trust tuning my vehicles (& the person who has done all the tuning on the Grand Prix) only has an HP tuner available for GM. So I've been going back & forth about getting a tuner (not just a chip!) for the Commander. Any ideas or suggestions? Also, what are other good performance mods? If I wasn't building a car for the track, I would supercharge or twin charge the Commander, but that's just not in the cards. This is my first shot at building a naturally aspirated vehicle.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

-Miranda

·
2,248 Posts
I think that it would take a lot to get a Commander to be really quick at the dragstrip. AJ and A49er both ran their Commanders and I think they ran in the low 16's for the quarter mile. There is just too much weight to get moving without a large increase in HP. I think that there is also a limiter on the top end speed, (though I do not think it would matter in the 1/4 mile anyway). To be seriously fast you would need to start throwing out weight, things like the seats, spare, etc. I believe that the Commander is a great vehicle for the street or offroad and you would be better off using a lighter car for racing.

When AJ and 49er ran together at the track, the announcer called then the "Safari Twins"

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Here are our times from the race track:

A.J. and I took three passes (2 side by side), the results are as follows:

Pass 1

A.J. 16.589 @ 83.956
Jon 16.394 @ 84.418

Pass 2

A.J. 16.470 @ 83.579
Jon 16.383 @ 84.165

Pass 3

Jon 15.983 @ 85.623 (Best time and fastest run for the night)

AVERAGE OF 3: 16.25

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here are our times from the race track:

A.J. and I took three passes (2 side by side), the results are as follows:

Pass 1

A.J. 16.589 @ 83.956
Jon 16.394 @ 84.418

Pass 2

A.J. 16.470 @ 83.579
Jon 16.383 @ 84.165

Pass 3

Jon 15.983 @ 85.623 (Best time and fastest run for the night)

AVERAGE OF 3: 16.25

what was y'alls 60' and reaction times?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Building heavy vehicles is a challenge. But look at the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee. It is possible to make our vehicles fast.

Btw, if you guys didn't know, a Grand Prix is around 4200 pounds.. I keep it loaded still. Well, minus the spare at the track.. I leave all the seats n usually have a passenger with me. It's all part of the fun. Do things that have never been done before, and no one has made a race Commander to my knowledge.

-Miranda

·
2,248 Posts
You can do just about anything with enough money. The faster you go the more it cost. I think that our Commanders, especially with the new steel bumpers, roof racks, big tires and storage weigh over 5,500 lbs. It is still hard to get a school bus down the track.

The new Coach that I am getting has 600 horsepower and over 2000 ft lbs of torgue, but at 45 feet I would not expect it to win any races.

Might be fun to try though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My parents rock one of those. What kind of Coach is it? Marathon?

·
2,248 Posts
Country Coach, Magna 630 Donatello Model

·
Registered
527 Posts
What, no 'pimp-my-go-fast-shop' comments from Moms R/T? I'm dissapointed...... :rofl:

I think the place to look for go fast stuff for the 4.7 Commander is the Dodge Pages, I seem to remember a whole bunch of Dakota and Ram drivers that had done some Hi-Pro stuff to the 4.7.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
With as much front-end lift as these things have, I'd imagine a stiffer spring setup in the back would probably help the launch a bit.

Got on it from a stop yesterday with a buddy of mine riding passenger, and I noticed how slow the shifts are. Curious if a chip would help with that. I know in a previous automagic, the chip worked wonders. Hmm....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 5.7

But my GP used to shift like ass, and then it got tuned, now it's awesome. So I would think that you just have to go into the shift timing table and adjust the time from like 4 or 1 or 2. But that's using an HPTuner, and I have no idea what kind of things there are out there for our vehicles. Do they make Jet Chips for them?

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
here's a good cheap reciepe. it may work

smaller diameter tires

lose weight, throw out the 3rd row seat, tools, jack, spare tire, 2nd row of seats.

exhaust

intake

those are the cheap things

expensive:

heads, headers, exhaust, cam, tuner, royal purple fluids

i have not seen a blower for a hemi yet. i'm sure there is one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A blower is around 8k with all the things to make it fit. I've looked into it. Turboing might be easier. Can someone link me to a tuner?

I'm not going to start tossing my 2nd row of seats, it's still a vehicle, that I drive daily. IMO it's stupid to do that on any car unless it's a full drag car.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i think there is a lot that can be done to make these go faster and have better power, but some is going to have to break the CANBUS system to make it all work together. there are so many electronics in this this vehicle.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
A blower is around 8k with all the things to make it fit. I've looked into it. Turboing might be easier. Can someone link me to a tuner?

I'm not going to start tossing my 2nd row of seats, it's still a vehicle, that I drive daily. IMO it's stupid to do that on any car unless it's a full drag car.
Contact this guy:

Performance Research Inc
3328 Westerville Rd
Columbus, OH , 43224-3700
Phone: 614-475-8300
FAX: 614-476-1861

Products Description:
Manufactures/Installs/Services Custom Marine Motor or generator components, Hydraulic , Pneumatic engines, Gas engines, Steam engines, Turbine engines, Turbofan engines....not just marine.....

He has a 550 on his showroom built.....$20,000 installed......

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 06 hemi. I have an exhaust, throttle body spacer, intake, b&g pcm, stage 1 cam, and some other minor mods. The B&G pcm is awesome top speed is 140, the shift points are much stiffer, and the auto stick doesnt shift up automatically. Id take a look at b&g or contact hhp racing those guys know what they are doing with hemis.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts