Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to do my front wheel well mods for larger tires. Jacking each side from underneath the control arm just doesn't seem stable due to the angle of the arm. Can I jack from underneath the front differential and put my jack stands on either side on the outside frame? It would seem to be stable having a triangle of three supports while working. I guess I could do one side at a time too, I just don't like how my floor jack lines up under the control arm.......feels like it could slip off at that angle.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I am about to do my front wheel well mods for larger tires. Jacking each side from underneath the control arm just doesn't seem stable due to the angle of the arm. Can I jack from underneath the front differential and put my jack stands on either side on the outside frame? It would seem to be stable having a triangle of three supports while working. I guess I could do one side at a time too, I just don't like how my floor jack lines up under the control arm.......feels like it could slip off at that angle.

Thanks
The subframe channel that the crossmember bolts to is my lift and jackstand point.
I lift one side w/floor jack and set my stands forward of the jack pad and repeat on the other side.
Like you, the control arm angle while lifting doesn't make me feel very warm and fuzzy.
Avoid lifting at the ft diff-its rubber mounted and not designed to carry load.

Rob

·
Registered
526 Posts
I lift one side w/floor jack and set my stands forward of the jack pad and repeat on the other side.
I do the same, but dont use the stock jack. If I am at my house, I have a big floor jack. If I am off road, I jack with my Hi-Lift and Lift mate and still use the jack stand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts